(lmelling) Lynne Mellinger

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

Lynne Mellinger, known within DG as lmelling

Lynne Mellinger, age 53, passed away Tuesday, February 21, 2006 with her family by her side.

Lynne's Memorial Service will be held on Saturday, March 4, at 2:00 p.m. at

The First Congregational Church
309 Highland Rd
Ithaca, NY 14850-2301

Survivors include her husband, Dave, a son, Brian, a daughter Krissy, many immediate and extended family members, along with numerous DG friends.

When Lynne learned of her cancer, she made this comment to a DG friend, and it shows what a fighter she was:

Quoting:
"You know, some people could look at what happened to me and take the view that it shouldn't happen...BUT...

I try to look at the total Journey... this experience has changed my life! I no longer look on the world with a jaundiced eye. My life is so full of friends, love, and good experiences over the last few months. I've never felt more cared for than I do now. Sure, things get me down occasionally, but it's usually the world - mans hatred and treatment of his/her fellow man that gets me, world events, catastrophes - not anything in my immediate sphere...

I truly believe that if we can live through something like this and come away having learned lifes experiences and have tried to cheer others along the way, then we've done something to help, not hinder, the world. I just try to let God direct me and not fight him.... You can be whomever you want to be!"

Lynne also started writing a booklet of her journey entitled "Choices". Although "Choices" is not available to be given away or sold at this time...we do have the introduction....

Quoting:
I have had the most amazing journey of my life that started with my diagnosis of stage 3-4b lung cancer in January of 2005. This booklet is about the journey and the choices I have made... In my treatment, how I choose to accept my illness, treat and interact with others, attitude, and so many other choices I’ve made. All these choices were made with thought, not in haste. Some were deliberate some were not. But all the choices I made served to bring me to this point in my life and treatments, as healthy, strong and serenely happy as I could possibly be. This has been a journey of light, of understanding of oneself, forgiveness, and becoming a whole person. It has never been about the illness...........

Lynne, lmelling, joined us on October 9, 2004 and was very active in our forums as well as helping share her knowledge with PlantFiles by adding over 30 plants, and hundreds of comments and photos.

In addition to posting frequently in the PlantFiles Pictures forum, her other favorite forums included wildlife, hydrangeas, and the prayer forum.

Lynne was also very active on the Golden Retriever Rescue of Central New York website. She was their webmaster, designed/produced t-shirts for online sales and other fund raising events. http://www.grrcny.org/

Lynne will be missed by many of us, and her strength and inspiration will remain in our memories forever. One of Lynne's DG friends summed it up perfectly...
Quoting:
In dying the Good Lord showed her the true meaning of living, which she shared with everyone.

Thumbnail by Joan
Braselton, GA(Zone 8a)

Joan,
THANK you so very much for doing this beautiful thing in Imellings honor. Her family is in my thoughts and prayers.

Myrtle Beach, SC

Thank you Joan for helping Judy keep us informed. I appreciate all you both have done. God bless you both and keep you both safe. Love, Margo
God is good all of the time and He never makes mistakes. Our is never forget and to love each other without condition. Lynne set an excellent example of God's Love.

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

Your comments are appreciated, and Lynne had become a very large part of my life and inspiration also. I'd like this thread to be about sharing our thoughts and remembrances of Lynne, as well as our feelings about losing a wonderful DG friend. In starting this thread, I am merely the messenger, no thanks are necessary. :)

Lynne touched my heart in a way I can't even explain. We found out she was sick shortly after I had lost my Mom to cancer, and while I was going through a scare of my own, as well as a scare with my daughter. Her words of inspiration and strength will forever be embedded in our minds and hearts. And, if in the future we learn bad news about our situations, we will remember her words of wisdom and they will carry us through.

Lynne, we love you still and forever.

Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

Lynne you are insuch a peaceful place now. I am not jealous you are with Jesus, I am jealous you are with Him and not with us. I would not bring you back here because you are finally at peace (no more pain). Time was short with you my friend, but not to short to learn so much about you.

We learned no matter how sick you were, you thought more of praying for each one of us, than yourself. We learned of your unconditional love. We learned how to grab life and hang on no matter what. We learned complete strangers can become close family. We learned not to give up. We learned it is ok to wear red thongs on your head when they don't look good anywhere else. We learned how to make cranes. You taught us courage, and you showed us no matter what we can face things head on and Live, Love, and Laugh.

We will always love you. Thank you for being such a big part of lives.

Blenheim, New Zealand

I was going to ask you , lmelling, about some Hydrangea. I am a bit late,I am sure you are ok now,boots

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

I wanted to share another e-mail I got from Lynne last year, I had asked her how she was doing...if anyone is wondering how Lynne felt about all of this, here it is...it feels good to know that she was not afraid. The last paragraph says everything you need to know about Lynne. I know Lynne would not mind me sharing...........

"Oh Sweetie...Lynne is doing just fine!
I've told my husband that I'm not afraid to die. I walked away from an accident in '98 where my van was t-boned by a driver at high speed. I should have been killed...or at least badly injured, but I walked away with a bump to the head. Ever since then I've lost the fear of death. I don't want to die, but I'm no longer afraid....

We never know when our time will come but we need to make peace with ourselves and with God - What is tough is that those left behind who love that person are left with an emptiness that is hard to fathom and fill. I hope I can always be here, for both of you! All we can do - any of us... is enjoy each other and the time we have. Cherish all the moments we can beg, borrow or steal and be thankful for them."

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Krissy, Lynne's Daughter, ask that I post the below

Quoting:

Sent: Thursday, February 23, 2006 8:28 AM
Subject: lynne

This is Lynne's daughter Krissy. Thank you to everyone for making my mother smile as you all did. The friends she made here and the love she felt from everyone made her journey so much more beautiful and she found hope courage and will through your words. She was my best friend, an amazing mother, my teacher, and one of my soul mates... as I believe. I am so blessed to have been loved by her, and I can see I'm not the only one who shares that feeling. She was laughing all the way up until the end, making jokes, exuding joy, laughter, and peace.

The family held her as she made her transition and peace blanketed her. We cherished her, as you all have.

Again, I thank you so much for all the compassion, love, and friendship that surrounded her through this journey.

"Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around"
- Leo Buscalia

Savannah, GA(Zone 8b)

link to Lynne's obituary. There is a beautiful picture of her with a heart warming smile. She was a very loving, caring person and she will be missed by many.

http://miva.pressconnects.com/miva/cgi-bin/miva/ithndetail.mv?ARCID=168&speak=mellinger&fyear=06

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Beautiful picture of Lynne, thanks pp. Still hard to beleive.

Tulsa, OK(Zone 7a)

she is now free from the pain and looking down smiling at us all..now there is another gardening Angel in heaven..it will be wonderful to welcome her daughter to Daves..

Twyla

Worden, IL(Zone 6a)

And if I go while you are still here......
Know that I still live on,
Vibrating to a different measure
Behind a thin veil you cannot see through.

You will not see me,
so you must have faith.

I wait the time when we can soar together again,
both aware of each other.

Until then, live your life to the fullest.
And when you need me,
just whisper my name in your heart,
...........I will be there.
Written by Colleen Hitchcock

Early this morning when I was up I looked at the crescent moon and close by was the brightest star.....and I saw your beautiful smile shining down on me. I can't say goodbye so I will say a simple "See Ya."

Forever in my heart,
Cindy

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

I am truly at a loss for words. I can't say enough about Lynne and how she helped me through my bout with cancer. She was there for me and I feel the loss tremendously.

I will never forget you Lynne.

Cindy

Crossville, TN

What a wonderful tribute to a wonderful person!

Jo

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Beautiful Cindy. See ya, Lynne.

Savannah, GA(Zone 8b)

I found this poem and thought, this sounds like the kind of person that Lynne was.

THIS BE OUR CREED

Each day let’s do a golden deed,
Some kindness show to one in need;
Let’s try to lend a helping hand,
A listening ear to understand.

Let’s try to spread some sunshine where
We see a brother bent with care.
With loving thought and friendly smile
Let’s strive to make each day worthwhile.

Let’s try to cheer some lonely heart
With hope and gladness we impart.
Just little things can mean so much—
A card, a call to keep in touch.
May every kindness that we do
Reflect our Lord’s love shining through.

If you and I will live this creed,
Each day to do a golden deed,
We can make sunny skies from gray,
Make flowers bloom along the way.
Let’s try -- let’s pray so we might say:
“This be our creed” each passing day.

Beverly J. Anderson

This message was edited Feb 24, 2006 5:24 PM

Lincoln City, OR(Zone 9a)

Cindy that was lovely and so fitting for our dear friend.

PurplePetunia she would love if all of us would live by that creed.

I got this in an email from Lynne soon after I "met" her through a mistakenly sent email.

I am dancing like no one is watching, working like I don't need the money, laughing like it is the best joke I have ever heard, loving like I have never been hurt, and living every day to the fullest because it might be my last and every day is a blessing from God!

Lynne I will never forget the laughs we had, the love we shared, the emails we sent, the several times we chatted in the phone, the incredible spirit you showed all of us and the honor I felt when you told me you considered me one of your best friends. Because of you I am a much better human being and will try to live up to your love of me.

See ya my dear friend Lynne.
Many hugs and love,
Lani

Toadsuck, TX(Zone 7a)

Peace. love, and blessings to all left behind.........just know that she is there helping to make ready the way for all she loved.

"eyes"

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

I guess I needed a good cry. Somehow I missed the notice about Lynne until now, but she touched me as she touched so many of us here on DG, and surely all the others in her life.

She will be missed, but waiting.

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

No doubt with open arms, Darius.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

My deepest sympathies are with Lynne's family and friends.

Carlisle, PA

Hello everyone,
This is Lynne's daughter, Krissy. Thank you all so much for the kindness and love I found through your words. Seeing how much my mother touched you all reminds me of the connection we had. Tears flow in joy... and saddness of missing her, but she is still with me... and all of you. Meeting all of you changed the course of her journey and gave her such peace. She used to share all of her messages with me, and the smile on her face said it all. So you know, I am pushing forward with her book Choices. I promised her I'd finish the project. We are awaiting releases and a publisher, and I will let you know when its ready. It will be awhile. I am now a member on Dave's Garden, and in the absence of my mother's gardening advice, I hope I can rely on some of you for some good ideas. Thank you,
Krissy

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Krissy, Thank You for joining us here, and for sharing the sentiments your mother felt. I know we all await the finished project of her book.

Here's part of the lyrics from a song for you

Quoting:
I've been scraping little shavings
off my ration of light
and I've formed it into a ball
and each time I pack a bit more onto it
and I make a bowl of my hands and
I scoop it from its secret cache
under a loose board in the floor
and I blow across it and I send it to you
against those moments when the darkness
blows under your door.

It's from Isn't That What Friends Are For Lyrics by Bruce Cockburn

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Oh, Krissy, welcome to Dave's Garden. I am so glad your going forward with your mom's book. You always sounded like a wonderful daughter and now I know you are a wonderful daughter. I loved your mom and look forward to getting to know you. I'll be thinking of you and your family on the 4th.
It was my pleasure to have Lynne in my life.

Ewing, KY(Zone 6a)

Krissy, welcome to DG sorry it was under these circumstances. I first met your mom in PlantFiles help desk. She seemed to really enjoy working in PF when she was able. She was a sweet wonderful person. I miss her as we all do. I will keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers. Please keep us updated on the book.

Crossville, TN

We are so glad you're here...we know what a loss you have had, but continuing her work on the book will be rewarding for you...as well as all who knew her. Welcome to our Garden....she is just in a better Garden. Jo

Merrimac, WI(Zone 4b)

Dear Krissy,

It's so good to "meet" you. I am so sorry for your loss; your mom was such a wonderful person. I have thought of her daily, since I first saw the posting for her in "Prayer Requests." Her posts always brought me a smile, and she was so giving of herself. What a legacy she has left.

When she told us she had started Choices, I could sense an elation in her by the messages she posted here; nothing she wrote, but just a feeling. She sent me a copy after her second draft was finished. I am so happy to hear you are going forward with it.

You and your family will continue to be in my prayers as you finish your mom's book.

God bless,
Jody

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Krissy,

What a tribute to Lynn, that you have joined DG.

We are all hugging you close to our hearts.

Judy

Myrtle Beach, SC

Welcome Krissy. I am so glad you have joined us here at Dave's. God bless you and your family and keep you all safe, Love, Margo

Worden, IL(Zone 6a)

Hello Krissy,
Welcome to Dave's. So this is "Sarge's" daughter. Many a time your mother had to be the Sarge or I don't think I would have made it. I cannot express in words how sorry I am for you and your family's loss. I hope your dad is doing OK? "My angel" is what I called your mother. She was something very special. She brought me back from the lowest of lows too many times to count last year, and for that I could never thank her enough. One of a kind, very special, caring lady. I will miss her tremendously. She is solid in my heart.

So glad you joined Dave's. Looking forward to seeing some pictures of your artwork, hint, hint :o). Your mom was so proud.
Hugs,
Cindy

Tulsa, OK(Zone 7a)

Krissy welcome .. so great your a member to.. we all cared so much for your mother she was a joy to us all..

Twyla

Newark, OH(Zone 5a)

Krissy, welcome to Dave's Garden. I loved and respected your mother so much. I feel honored to have known her. She blessed all who came across her path.

Cathy

Savannah, GA(Zone 8b)

Krissy, thanks for following in your moms footsteps, to Daves Garden. Your mom was a real inspiration, as well as a source of strength. I was always anxious to see her posts and concerned when she didn't post for a few days, because I knew she wasn't feeling up to it. She fought a good fight and she has traveled the road to a heavenly garden. Hope someone will be able to care for her plants.

We will be looking forward to your posts.
Chris

Norwood, MO(Zone 6a)

Krissy,

Welcome to DG!!! Your mother spoke so highly of you. She is so proud of her family. She is such a Blessing to all of us. We love her and cherish her.... and always will.... just from afar now.... If you ever have a question or need any help... I would be glad to help in any way I can. I am so glad you joined us.

Lynne, I miss your emails! I miss your smile that came through in all your messages. I miss your spirit and encouragement.... I am so sorry for all of us here on earth that go on without your pushy self to get us through when the road is bumpy.... But most of all ... I am glad and happy that you are without pain, that you can wear your red thongs and your red hats and dance with abandonment... I am glad you can garden with strength and vigor... I am so tickled knowing you can touch the face of our Maker... (please put in a good word for me) ... I bet you had a heck of a party waiting on you when you got home... All this and more.... and Yes! I can hear your laughter.... it echo's on the wind... but still I weep.....

Lincoln City, OR(Zone 9a)

Krissy, Welcome to DG. In just a few short months I became as close to your mother as I have ever been to any friend. She will be missed greatly in my life and was a remarkable influence to many. I am now living like I might die in the next hour or day.

I saw this in the newspaper (Idaho Statesman, March 5, 2006) and knew your Mom would love this story and poem. This little boy's name is Izeyah Yenter and he was a student at Spaulding Elementary School in Idaho last year ( third grader). He wrote this poem and it was entered in a contest of the PTA in the area called the Reflections program. Sadly he died January 28, 2006 16 months after his diagnosis of an inoperable brain tumor. One month after he died his poem was selected for the contest. He had found out the day before he died that his poem had won a the district level and managed a smile. It is now at national level being judged against all other in his age group at the national level. I think it sums up a lot of our own feelings about Lynne and her purpose this past year.

"I Wonder Why"
by Iseyah Yenter

I wonder why He chose me,
A cell growing out of control so rapidly.
A tumor on my brainstem that nobody could see.
A year to live, it just can't be.
There are so many things that I still want to be,
I wonder why He chose me.
Hospitals, doctors, MRI scans, and shots,
the pills I can swallow, the Thick-It I can not.
I wonder why He chose me.
To teach me and the world that only He holds the key,
To miracles, cures, blessings, and love,
God holds the keys to all of the above.
I no longer wonder why He chose me,
I live everyday as if it is my last
and be the best that I can be.

Thank you to Lynne and Izeyah and all the other people in our lives who have brought us to the reality that life is too short and yet too long and we must live as if we are dying. It is all in our Choices.
Lani

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

That is so touching Lani, brought tears to my eyes. I hope that Krissy will join us here and be the common denominator that her mom was. Not a day goes by that I don't thank the Lord for allowing me to know Lynne.

Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

It hurts so bad to think Lynne is not here with us anymore. I followed her threads and encouraged her, but not as much as she did me. Her first posts she was contemplating not having radiation or chemo.

We laughed about wearing red thongs on our heads as none of us had the figure for wearing them where they belong. Things of silliness and of seriousness.

Krissy I hope you take the time to read the threads as she talked so much about you. I hope you are doing well. I know it has to be very hard. I lost my mom 22 years ago today. I did not have the relationship you and your mom had as my mom was a very bitter person. Your mom had more love in her little finger than most people will experience in a lifetime. She had the heart of God.

We love you sweetie. I you need anything just ask and we will do our best to do it.

Blessings,
Sandy ^8^

Carlisle, PA

Hello all...
I haven't written in awhile... just gathering myself and healing. I've been taking it slow... soaking up the sky, the beautiful moonscapes and sunsets we've been having here in PA... and feeling. The family is doing well. We are all as resilient as mom was, but it does take a bit to get used to this new order in life. Mom's service was wonderful. My brother and I both delivered eulogies... if anyone wants to read it I can try to somehow get it up here or a link or something... I'm just not as computer savvy as my mother was!!!!! I thank all of you and your continued support. I couldn't find all my mother's threads so if anyone could help, I'd love it.
Good News...
We were waiting on permission from a record company to use the song title " Live like you were dying" in mom's book and we just got it... so we can keep on truckin!!! It's wonderful news. I'll keep you posted.
I live on a farm and have been clearing the land for my veggie garden and for planting flowers. It's a mess right now so it should be ready shortly.
Thanks for the poem, Lani... Humbles us all.
Until later,
Krissy

Newark, OH(Zone 5a)

Hi Krissy,

It's good to hear from you, I am so thankful that the service was beautiful. I have the blessing of rememberig the beautiful services for my parents.

Glad you are healing and adjusting. I know what a rearrangement of your lives it is when someone is gone, but you have the assurance that you will all meet again. That is such a miraculous promise, isn't it?

I would like to read your mom's memorial service if you can find a way to post it. I would also like to have a copy of Lynne's completed book when it is ready. Please let me know by Dmail or by posting on a thread.

God's continued blessings and love for you and yours,
Cathy

Cape May Court House, NJ(Zone 7a)

Hi krissy, I think this link might help to find all you Mom's Post's!

http://davesgarden.com/members/lmelling

When Lynn's book is complete it will be a BEST SELLER here at Dave's Garden!

sue

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.