Historic ??

Farmington, ME(Zone 4b)

Can someone tell me how old an iris has to be before it is considered historic?
Also do all types TB, SDB, etc. have historic?
I'm making a spreadsheet and would like to include this info.
Thanks.
Bonnie

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Although this is a matter of perpetual debate among historic iris aficionados, historics are currently defined as any iris of any type that is more than 30 yrs old. I can't remember, though, if the age of the iris is determined by its registration date or its date of introduction.

Laurie

Farmington, ME(Zone 4b)

Thanks Laurie! I'll be updating my info.

I can't wait to see how the irises you sent me bloom in the Spring. Not much snow here this winter. We'll probably get it all in March & April!!
Thanks again

Bonnie

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

You're welcome, Bonnie. I, too, added a bunch of new irises last summer that I'm eager to see, though my own personal history tells me that I'll only get bloom on about 20% of first year irises. In a really, REALLY good year, however, I have been known to get as high as 50% bloom on first year irises. :-)

Laurie

Farmington, ME(Zone 4b)

Right now I'd be happy with just green! It is snowing here. I know we need the snow to protect our plants, but would love for it to be April.

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

I know the feeling! I am soooo ready for winter to be over, but we're still a ways off. We're getting Jan. in Feb., just like last year.

I want WARMTH!

Laurie

Farmington, ME(Zone 4b)

LOL,
I have family in FL. To bad they couldn't package the warmth and ship us a bunch! They would probably appreciate some of our nice cool weather in the summer too!

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Most of my family has migrated in your direction from the Midwest. My mom and two sisters are in NH; another sister is in VT. My brother's in OH, and my oldest sister is in WI. We just can't seem to make it out of the cold zones.

Laurie

Farmington, ME(Zone 4b)

As much as I hate winter, I still can't imagine Christmas without snow! I do love to go south for a visit, but definitely don't want to live there! I think spiders and snakes would take the fun out of gardening!

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

I agree. Christmas isn't Christmas and winter isn't winter without cold temps and snow. Even so, I wouldn't mind finding a paradise with no poisonous insects, arachnids, or snakes; no man-eating animals, no natural disasters, and temps that never extend out of the 30-70 degree F range.

I don't ask for much. ;-)

Laurie

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

Laurie, when you find that place, let me know where it is. I wanna go too! :)

Farmington, ME(Zone 4b)

LOL, Sounds wonderful!! I think we all would like to go!
If you do find a place like that, it'll be packed!! Probably won't have room for iris gardens!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.