Short shrub syndrome?

Fairmont, WV(Zone 6a)

Hi all, I'm new here. :)

I bought a 1925 Craftsman style house three years ago. I ripped out all the nasty overgrown evergreen foundation plantings on the front (south) side of the house and am now attempting to create a mixed garden to replace them. I've planted an assortment of deciduous and evergreen shrubs towards the back of an 8 foot bed and would like to plant an assortment of perennials and a few annuals towards the front. Here's my problem: although I did purchase the largest shrub specimens I could afford, they're still short. I've read that one should plant from tallest in back to shortest in front. Does this mean I should only plant short annuals until the shrubs in back mature? If I plant my tall perennials, will they look awkward? Does anyone have any design suggestions?

I'll try to upload a picture soon...basically, the bed is 8 feet wide and about 35 feet long, with the porch and front door off to one side and a big sky blue chimney smack in the middle of the front of the house. The front faces south, with about 40 feet of mostly flat lawn to the road.

Thanks for any help you can give to me! :)

This thread has 12 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!