Be careful of the glass you use to build with

Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

I rummaged thru all my glassware today and picked up a candlestick that was extra heavy. This must be pure crystal I said to myself! I looked at the bottom and found a tiny etched Val ST. Lambert copyright. Val ST. Lambert is the oldest maker of crystal in Belgium, since 1887 I think. Anyway .... I got real excited and looked up the value of this pretty piece. $9.00 is all that it is worth :( ... but it was a good wakeup call to me to pay attention that I don't mix valuable glassware in with my totems, stands and flowers. So I'm passing along this info so you will know to be careful too. If you are in doubt about the age or worth of a piece of glass you want to use to make garden art check out the antiques and collectibles forum first. Maybe someone there can help you.
And as far as candlesticks are concerned, run your finger around the inside wall of the cavity that holds the candle. Antique, vintage and expensive candlesticks do not have ridges along those inside walls. They are smooth.
... ok ... I'm done blabbing. :) ... v

ps ... not trying to tell you that it's a sin to use antique and collectible stuff in your work. After all as long as you didn't paint it or drill holes in it there is no harm done. But if you sell your work and someone quickly snatches up a glued creation you made it might be because there's a piece in it that is worth 50 gabillion dollars ... and you will be the loser.

This message was edited Feb 22, 2006 1:25 PM

This thread has 10 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!