carpet tack strip removal

Silver Lake, OH(Zone 5b)

I got sick of our carpet in the hallway so I ripped it up today only to discover that it STANK of old animal pee and the tack strips are brittle and splintering - it took me about 20 minutes to get about 6 inches of it off the floor with a straight screwdriver and pliers.

What other suggestions might you have?

It MUST come up because some places were soaked with urine (dang male dogs) and they are discolored, smelly (wondered what that was) and just generally YUCKOLA! I have to get the wood disinfected and deodorized... what a mess.

Would pounding down the pointy sides of the tacks maybe wedge up the nails that are in the strip so I can pull them with a claw hammer? Someone suggested a putty knife but I'm uncovering hardwood (in good shape despite the animal) and I don't want to hurt it.

BTW it wasn't my dog - it was the previous owner's sheltie; apparently he didn't like to go out in the rain or snow so he lifted his leg in the hallway. :::rrrrrgh::::

Thanks for your help
Janie

This message was edited Feb 22, 2006 12:34 PM

This thread has 6 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!