Tuberose - 2nd attempt...LOL

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Come on guys...don't let me down!! That's why I come here - expert advice. :) Forget previous question about Persian Lilac. I'll be happy with a response on the Tuberose. As I understand it the single is more fragrant...everyone agree? or no? Second question: I'm seeing it listed as hardy to 7 then others stating 8. Thoughts? Experience?
Thank you!
Chantell

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

Chantell, I always thought that the single tuberoses were more fragrant, too. Then a couple of weeks ago I was at the SE Flower Show and a booth was selling the double tuberose bulbs and they smelled so wonderful! The ladies had made leis out of them and they were just fabulous!

As far as being in zone 8, where is Stafford? I saw that a tiny part of Virginia on the coast and right above NC is zone 8. Are you there?

http://www.growit.com/bin/USDAZoneMaps.exe?MyState=VA

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

I'm about an hour north of Richmond. The best I can figure - 7a. It's just I've heard conflicting reports regarding the hardiness of tuberoses. Some say 8 - some say 7. Grrr...very confusing.
The double tuberoses definately "look" nicer, in my opinion...but I was more concerned about fragrance. Decisions, decisions...yikes.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I wish I could help you with the difference but I've only had the double ~ and it was intoxicating. :)

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

I personally can't tell much diff in single or dbl as far as the fragrance. I am in z7b and they are hardy here. A lot of "bulbs" can be pushed zone-wise by heavy winter mulch.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

You all are great - thanx for the responses...now to just make up my mind. LOL

Danielsville, GA(Zone 7b)

chantell,I moved from the winston salem area,some thirty years or so,and I grew the single,and it did fine,until I forgot to mulch good.That year was 1960,and if anyone remembers,It snowed every wed. in march,and never got above freezing,until the last week,then it was spring.What am I saying!! it never got up to freezing.Mike

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

When I lived in TN zone 7a, they didn't always overwinter. I think the double is showier, but they both smell wonderful.

Union Grove, AL

while we are on the topic, when and how are they best divided?
I;ve got a client with then so crowded that they no longer bloom, they don't survive at my house much colder micro-climate.

South West, LA(Zone 9a)

I don't know it was the best time but I recieved some from a friend maybe 2 weeks ago and they are doing fine. Lots of new growth. I put some in the ground and some in a pot. The potted ones look much better.
Caren

Union Grove, AL

Thanks, were they already showing green?

South West, LA(Zone 9a)

Some had little shoots but not more than a inch or two. I don't know if they sprouted in the mail of if they were already there when divided.
I hope that answers your question!
Caren

Union Grove, AL

Thanks again, as soon as they come up we'll lift 1/2 of em and hope for the best, thanks so much

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.