Add a comment to the Plantfiles, Please

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

I have been trying in my spare time to add comments in our Plantfiles as to the invasiveness of those listed on our Florida invasive/noxious plant list.
I am astounded that many aren't even listed,. When they are no one has bothered to write a negative comment there.
The plantfiles are what brought me to dave's garden in the first place as I was looking for plants to put in my yard.
It is a place that many end up at when doing plant searches on google and other search sites.
This could actually make a difference in how many of these invasives get planted.
Thanks for everyone's help.
Sidney

Plant Files was my first exposure to DG too. You're right, it was negative as well as neutral comments that were posted that I read with great interest. Now I feel guilt. I haven't really taken the time to post comments. I have so many plants that I have had good experiences with that warrant accolades that I should have been religiously commenting on and then there is that small percentage that deserve the thumbs down comments. Thanks for mentioning this. I'll try to be better this spring when I actually start getting dirt under my fingernails again.

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

Yes, those comments about invasiveness are very helpful in PlantFiles. Even if they aren't invasive in another area, if they are invasive in yours, it would be very helpful information for others in your zone.

For instance, I've had Artemesia 'Oriental Limelight' try to take over my yard, where others haven't had that problem. And, I have a hard time trying to get some mint plants established for my mint teas, where others have it taking over. When I look at the zones from the PlantFile comments, I think that the mints I've grown aren't hardy to zone 4, that's why they aren't taking over for me. They may be an annual for me, where they are invasive for others.

Joan, the sad thing is so many of these plants maybe controlable in our yards, but they have seeds that are attractive to birds and then they get planted where the birds poop. Well the next thing we know whole vacant lots or worse yet hardwood forrest have an Asian vine growing in them so thickly that the native vegitation doesn't have a chance.
There is someone wanting to trade "Air Potatoes" for plants, heck why not throw some Kudzu in there as an extra treat.
Sidney

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I'm sure many would argue this point but Seattle had a blackberry (asian) brought into Mercer Island by a botanist. Well today anywhere in Seattle you can gorge on the best, sweetest, largest blackberrys on the planet earth. It does take over any neglected area but I can always in July - end of Aug feast on blackberrys all over the Puget Sound. You pick a pie's worth in 2 minutes.

The blackberry are all the way to my yard too and I HATE em! Sure they can be tasty, but they have terrible thorns all over that get infected if under a nail. Try a great american Cherry, Apricot, or Peaches instead. Yes the _____birds have definately spread those everywhere. No Thanks.
What would be growing on Puget Sound without them? What natural have they forced out?
Sidney

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Everything. Oregon grape, Salal, Kinikinik (sp). sword ferns, etc. My pest there is the darn Scotch Broom! It is ugly and terrible to walk near. You need a goat. Never had problems with my Berries due to my tech having a herd of pygmy goats to borrow. Lewis and Clark would have been glad to get some when they visited.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.