Growing from seeds

Lyndonville, VT

I am getting ready to plant my lily seeds- I have had them in the refrigerator in the plastic envelopes they came to me in. What do I need to do- anything special before I plant them inside for the spring and hopefully plant mid June???

Karen In Vt...

Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

You will want to know if your seed will germinate and grow above ground the fist season or germinate and wait until it has a cold period(like winter), after which it produces above ground foliage. If your seeds are asiatics or trumpets, you can assume the former. If not, look here for the particular species:
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/573161/

Lyndonville, VT

they have had the cold temps in the fridge-they are daylily seeds...

sorry should have said that- does that help.

karen

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

I start all my hems (daylilies) by floating them in a glass of water with a dash of clorox. I changethe water weekly. When they have germinated I pot them up and put them under lights as soon as I see top growth. They are watered with half strength fertilizer biweekly. Rest of the time they get straight water. Hope this helps.
inanda

Zanesville, OH(Zone 6a)

I have trumpet lily seeds to start (first time). Any suggestions on the best way to start them?

Thanks, Denise

Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

Trumpet lilies would have an immediate emergence pattern. You could plant them like any seed in the spring. Even so, you might get better uniformity in germination if you subject your planted pot to some cold for a week or two (like in the fridge) before the warm.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

I plant all lilium seeds in well wrung out peat moss or vermiculite or spagnum moss, whatever you have. I put them in ziplock baggies and leave them somewhere warm -not in the sun - till they germinate. You will see white roots starting in the baggies. Then I pot them up under lights.

When I had a propane stove with a pilot light, I started them in the oven. The oven was about 75 - 80 degrees, perfect temp for lilium seeds.
inanda

Elkhart, IA(Zone 5a)

inanda.....How long does this take?

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

A few weeks. I just leave them without digging around till I see white rootlets showing in the baggies. Sorry about the gap in the reply, Was travelling - not much computer action. For sure I'll have a laptop next time I go anywhere.

Must say that most of the Best Westerns have a computer in the lobby that you can use. Good idea.

Inanda

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.