Will I see you at the AR Flower & Garden Show?

Bay, AR(Zone 7a)

Is anyone planning to attend the Arkansas Flower & Garden Show in Little Rock?

http://www.arflowerandgardenshow.org/index.htm

It's March 3-5 at the Statehouse Convention Center. I went last year and took ButterflyChaser and we had a great time! Norman Winter, Extension Horticulturist, Mississippi State University, will be one of the speakers this year, as well as Mike Shoup, owner of the Antique Rose Emporium. You can view the speaker schedule from the link above.

I am hoping to attend Friday at 1:00 to see Mr. Shoup, and Saturday, pretty much all day. If anyone is going to be there Friday afternoon or Saturday, "holler" at me and maybe we can meet!
Gail

Olive Branch, MS(Zone 7b)

Norman Winter! He always makes me want to go out and plant something. I would love to see him in person.

-South Central-, IL(Zone 6a)

...maybe we can get him to come to our Mid-South swap ;) whenever that is!! I love to read his articles in the NEPA magazine.

Bay, AR(Zone 7a)

Yes, he's definitely one of the speakers I'm planning to see! I think I'll ask for his autograph (on one of his books, of course!). I wonder what he charges for speaking, or if they just pay his expenses? I'll bet he doesn't do it for free, though.

Gail

I may do that too! I read his articles and I used to listen to him on Mississippi Public Radio. Now I want to buy one of his books and get him to autograph it.

Bay, AR(Zone 7a)

So do you think you'll be coming? Since I want to attend an even Fri and Sat, I'll probably be staying overnight at my uncle and aunt's house in North Little Rock. Give me a chance to visit with them, too, and I think they're going to the show also.

Sure hope I get to meet some fellow DG'ers there!!
Gail
Here's one of the pics I took there last year.....

Thumbnail by gardenergail
Bay, AR(Zone 7a)

And another.... this is of the COOL hypertufa leaves they were selling. Some cost as much as $100!!!

Conway, AR

I plan to go Friday afternoon. I'm interested in Rand R. talk on shade and native landscaping. He always has a wonderful collection of plants for sell at his booth-Grand Design. I've never heard him speak, but looking forward to it.
I'm going with a friend that loves bog gardens. Do any of you have a bog garden?
Maybe we should tie a blue ribbon on our wrist or someway to identify "Daves Gardners"! Any ideas?

Bay, AR(Zone 7a)

Hey, what a great idea! I will have a blue ribbon on mine!
Gail

I am seriously considering going. I'll have to find a blue ribbon to wear.

I can't go. I sit around twiddling my thumbs 90% of the time. And then, one day I have 2 or 5 things going on.

Bay, AR(Zone 7a)

Well I didn't get to go today, but I'll be there tomorrow!! Blue Ribbon on left wrist!!! If you see me come say hi!!!
Gail

Gail, how was the show? There's one in Southaven MS, I believe it's next week--I HOPE it's next week!

Bay, AR(Zone 7a)

GREAT! We had a really good time. I've got LOADS of pics to post and it's already after 1am.... !!!!! But here goes....
My friend from work, Shirley, went with, and we headed out about 10am Saturday. We got to Little Rock about 1'ish and I missed the turn-off so we had to pull off and get our bearings. No problems, though... I had a map in the car. By that time, we were hungry, so we headed over to Olive Garden for lunch (my FAVORITE restaraunt). After lunch, and now that I'd kind of remembered the way from last year's trip, we headed to the parking at War Memorial Stadium, where a shuttle was running back and forth from the show. Here's a pic of me on the shuttle.....

Bay, AR(Zone 7a)

Here's Shirley....

Bay, AR(Zone 7a)

Here's the diplay at the entrance to the "booth" area. A huge water feature! I didn't care for the "modern/techno" look about it. It might have looked better if they'd had sod around the edges, like a landscape feature would probably have. At least that would've softened it up a bit.....

This message was edited Mar 7, 2006 1:22 AM

This message was edited Mar 7, 2006 1:35 AM

Bay, AR(Zone 7a)

Ahhhh.... let's see... what next? As soon as you enter the building, there are displays by professional landscapers and the like. Here's one of those.... I noticed a significant amount of the displays enhanced HEIGHT.....

Oh, yeah!! See that man WAY back in the background? That's my UNCLE LEROY!! I didn't even notice I'd gotten him in that pic until later. I DID find him though....

This message was edited Mar 7, 2006 1:25 AM

Bay, AR(Zone 7a)

So here's me, Uncle Leroy, and his GF....

Bay, AR(Zone 7a)

Here's another tall entrance display....

Bay, AR(Zone 7a)

Here's me beside another TALL display....

Bay, AR(Zone 7a)

Here's another display.....

Bay, AR(Zone 7a)

Here's one closer up to what's at the end of that rose tunnel arbor....

Bay, AR(Zone 7a)

Here's a REALLY pretty copper water feature.....

Bay, AR(Zone 7a)

Here's some cute little ceramic mushrooms......

This message was edited Mar 7, 2006 1:33 AM

Bay, AR(Zone 7a)

And right next to that booth was this one, with an innovative form of rock sculptures....

Bay, AR(Zone 7a)

Another display....

Bay, AR(Zone 7a)

Sick yet? Another display....

Bay, AR(Zone 7a)

And another..... this year's theme was "Come to a Garden Party"....

This message was edited Mar 7, 2006 1:39 AM

Bay, AR(Zone 7a)

Here's the electric train that runs through downtown. It was starting to get dark, hence the "blue" color....

Bay, AR(Zone 7a)

Here are some containers and check out that fish chiminea (or however you spell it... lol)....

Bay, AR(Zone 7a)

I haven't taken pics yet, but I bought

2 'Bloodgood' jap maples, about 3ft tall. The sign said they were seedlings...? $30 for both

1 var. Jacob's Ladder $7
1 conifer - forgot what kind... I'll have to check the tag $9
It's a tiny thing, about 10" tall, but it looks like a shrunken full size tree! It's very slow growing and kind of columnar... evergreen, of course. I'm going to plant it next to the gnome door Nancy got me for my birthday. It will be PERFECT as a "mini" enhancement!! I'll get a pic tomorrow.

I also got Nancy a french lavender for her New Orleans garden.
Gail

This message was edited Mar 7, 2006 1:49 AM

Wow! I didn't know what I was asking for!!! Thanks for the pics. They 'whet my appetite' for this coming weekend!

I'm sorry I had to miss it. Photos were wonderful.

I hope I can make it to Southaven.

Bay, AR(Zone 7a)

Well, I don't see myself making it to Southhaven.... maybe next year! Or later on this year, if there's something going on where we could meet up!

We sure had a great time!
Gail

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.