Limnanthes douglasii (poached egg plant, buttercup daisy)

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

I've been looking at the lovely pics of this little plant and picked up some seed at Walmart. Have any of you ever grown it and have any tips to share? The package only gives directions for direct sowing, but I'm wondering if it can be transplanted. Trying to post a link to the Park's description page, but having trouble.

Thanks, Neal

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

gemini--

I bought my poached egg plant seeds from Value Seeds

http://www.valueseeds.com/archive-6444.html

And wintersowed them last week. We shall see how they turn out!

We seem to have the same taste in seed starting this year! t.

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Tabasco, had I read that link 3 years ago, rather than the Parks description, I would not have been surprised at the disappointing results I had.
I planted them in a regular flower bed with my bad watering habits.
Neal & t, please let us know how they do. They are interesting plants.
Andy P

Cullowhee, NC(Zone 6b)

gemini: of Limnanthes doulgasii Christopher Lloyd writes:

"Its primary season is May, overlapping into June. After that, let it seed, then immediately clear away the remains, scratch over the soil surface and, if you like (and I do), plant something else ther for late summer flowering. Meantime the next batch of limnanthes seedlings will appear, and by the autumn it will be flowering again, spasmodically but enough to be worthwhile. If the winter is mild, sporadic flowering will continue throughout--nice to pick for indoor enjoyment. The main rush of blossom will follow in the spring. Once you have this flower you are unlikely to lose it. Just thin out the seedlings to give those that remain a chance. Initially, broadcast a direct sowing in autumn or early spring."

Of course, Mr. Lloyd lives and gardens in England.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Good info. Sounds like they don't transplant very well, so I think I'll sow direct. I'm always reluctant to do that with something I have'nt grown before because I'm so likely to forget and pull up seedlings I don't recognize as weeds.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.