Rotting base of 10" wooden columns, HELP!

Bay, AR(Zone 7a)

Our front porch is quite large and has four 10" wooden columns. Weather and such has taken it's toll over the years (house was built in the late 60's) and now the bases of the columns are rotting and on at least one, you can slip your hand under the column and feel the hollow middle! We don't really know how they are installed, as the porch is brick but around the base of the one I mentioned, you can see what looks like a concrete block under it, so I wonder if they put the columns on like a foundation block and bricked around it (which doesn't seem likely, but what do I know?).

ANYWAY, does anyone have "repair" suggestions, other than replacing the columns? Wooden columns with a 10" diameter are special order items around here and quite expensive whether you get wood or fiberglass or aluminum.

DH has suggested we brace up the porch and cut off the bottom foot or so, get brick that matches the house and lay in the "under" space and re-do the bottom of the column on that. The overall view would not be affected too much, the columns would just appear shorter.

SO.... here's the house. Got any ideas for me?
Gail

This message was edited Feb 19, 2006 10:38 AM

Thumbnail by gardenergail
This thread has 12 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!