Any ideas of how to deal with Crane Flies?

Benton City, WA(Zone 6a)

I live in Washington (Eastern) State where we are having a problem with Crane Flies. http://cru.cahe.wsu.edu/CEPublications/eb0856/eb0856.html

Everything that I plant is eaten up before it gets over an inch high. I've been collecting small yogurt containers all year to use as collars on my plants but know I will also have to use strips of cardboard to set them in. I used that method last year. I had to replant things 3 times and eventually sewed my seeds in flats and transplanted them after they had grown a bit taller. Beans, carrots, beets, cucumbers, melons, mainly seemed to be what they liked.

Last fall the amount of flies seemed to be reduced allot, so I'm hoping our chickens have been eating them and decreasing the population of CF significantly.

I'm wondering if any of you have any other ideas as to how to deal with them. I posted on the soils compost forum thinking maybe there might be something in this area that would help. The general health of the soil or something. My son who is a soil science major is going to ask his professors. Thought maybe there were some professors on this forum. :)

Thanks for any ideas you could give me.
Sagewood Farm

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Well you can't talk about Insecticide on DG but I used it successfully by applying it on affected areas in late march early april. The ground was alive with leatherbacks swarming before they died. That was in Seattle.

Weisbaden, Germany

It's not 100% effective, and it's not instantaneous, but beneficial nematode spray in fall (after eggs are laid, but before freeze) and spring is supposed to help with the crane fly larvae. We lost about 75% of our lawn to them one year. The next year, after using nematodes, we only lost a few small square foot patches. Of course, the infestations are kind of cyclical anyway, so I can't guarantee that the nematodes made the difference.

Maria

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.