Leaf miners

Plaquemine, LA(Zone 8b)

Last year I had a problem with what I believe were leaf miners. I ended up losing all of the tomato plants.
I tried Sevin dust, garden insect control spray and picked the affected leaves off the plants to the point that there were no leaves on the plants.
When I got new growth back, they looked good for awhile and I had the same thing happen. It got to the point that I had to pull everything up and throw it away.
Any suggestions on taking care of these pests?????
Thanks so much for any info.
Mary

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

I haven't had this problem, but garden hygiene is one way to tackle an infestation. First, I hope you didn't compost any of the plants or leaves. If so, don't use the compost on your vegetable garden! Also, don't plant tomatoes in the same place very year. This reduces the likelihood of overwintering foes finding a host the following season. I used to alternate my tomatoes from one end of the vegetable garden to the other, and never had a pest problem repeat itself. Good luck!

Did any other solanaceous plants (peppers, potatoes) have the same problem?

Plaquemine, LA(Zone 8b)

Thanks for the reply.
No, the leaves and plants were bagged and thrown away, no compost.
Yes, the things traveled through the grass and got on my satsuma tree(about 6-8 feet away} that I'm trying to grow, hasn't produced yet. Also, went over to the cherry toms. about 2 ft. away. They didn't kill the satsuma, yet.
I'll try the other end of the garden this year. Also, spray it down real good after it's tilled up, wait awhile before I plant.

Mary

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

Did you take any pics of the affected leaves?

Plaquemine, LA(Zone 8b)

No pics. The leaf would get a white tunnel through it, droop and then it curl up (side to side).
Mary

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.