DG just bought me that Greenhouse.

Benton City, WA(Zone 6a)

He makes his mind up fast. Took him 25 years really. And one year thinking about this particular one. Anyway, I'm really excited now that I've seen the pictures you sent me links to. Now to figuring out how we are going to set it up. Might dig a basement for it. So to speak. Anyone have theirs set up in the ground some? Wondering how it does for draining. Suppose it depends on the kind of ground it's on.

Back to fixing dinner. Just wanted to share my exciting news with you all.

Sagewood Farm

Worden, IL(Zone 6a)

Congrats, you are going to love it.

Fulton, MO

Sagewood, which GH did you end up with?

I built my GH so that it was "sunken" 6 inches into the ground. It works fine. If I could do it again, I'd try to make it even a little deeper. No drainage problems, but I put 4" perforated PVC drains beneath the gravel floor and ran them out to daylight. If you do that, consider insulating the walls. SB

Benton City, WA(Zone 6a)

"If you do that, consider insulating the walls." Do you mean walls of the dirt?

Oh I got the HFGH 8 by 6.

Fulton, MO

This is just insulating the foundation. A 1-2" thick styrofoam layer is placed just outside the foundation to insulate it from the cold ground. In this pic, see the blue stuff?

I suppose whether you do this depends upon how much heat you need and to what extent you will use the surrounding earth as a "heat sink." The more you insulate it, the greater the heat retention but the less the surrounding earth will moderate your temperatures. For you it may be 6 one way, half dozen the other, if you don't need much heat.

I've never seen pics of a "sunken" HFGH. If you do it, post pics, please. Hope the links were (or will be) helpful. SB

Thumbnail by stressbaby
Benton City, WA(Zone 6a)

What would you call a greenhouse that is set in the ground like that? A sunken greenhouse?

Pickens, SC(Zone 7a)

Good for you. .( I love mine) .you will have alot of fun but try not to go crazy over the sorry instructions that come with it :)

Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

I got a HFGH too.. It's pretty cool, just hard to get together.. but once it's up.. and you've probably read lots about them.. What kind of heating system are you using?

Benton City, WA(Zone 6a)

Not sure yet. Something cheap I'm afriad. My DH wants to just put a heat strip under the trays. I'm not sure if that would be enough but we are thinking of getting them started-germinated-in the house, then moving them outside.

Pickens, SC(Zone 7a)

I invested in the greenhouse bubble insulation from Charleys and just heat with an electric space heater. With the cost of fuel that has been the most effective way to go for me.

charlotte

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

Sage,

Did you get the larger one they have out now?? I am sooooo tempted!

Benton City, WA(Zone 6a)

No we got the small one. Hopefully we will get it set up this weekend.

Fulton, MO

Jazz, be careful. The early word on the 10 x 12 HFGH is not good... missing parts, parts not drilled correctly, bolts too short, inadequate replacement parts...apparently the manufacturer of the larger GH is not the same as the manufacturer of the 6 x 8'. SB

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

aww.. that's too bad..

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.