What types of climbers are these?

Cullowhee, NC(Zone 6b)

I have the names of some climbers which are supposed to grow on a north wall. But I don't know if they twine or have pads or rootlets.

-Actinidia klomikta
-Holboellia latifolia f. coriacea

-Humulus lupulus "Aureus"

-Lonicera giraldii 1) x italica "Harlequin"
2) percilymenun "Cream Cascade"
3) similis var. delavayi

Any additional information about whether these plants would do well in my zone would be appreciated.

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

You can do the research yourself if you will type the name of each one into Google.com.

Denver, CO

Oh heck, I have time to kill.
You like variegation, eh?

Definiately not Hum. lup. 'Aureus.' It needs sun to even think of being golden, not for a North wall. It twines.

Actinidia twines somewhat. I understand that they do not always do what one expects from a vine. They might need more sun where you are than the N. wall.

Holboellia is experiemental in your zone. An evergreen twiner or heady fragrance in early spring.

Loniceras could be promising, but check on the hardiness of them first. Some cultivars are suprisingly weak. Variegateds grow slowly. Sun makes more flowers.
K. James

Cullowhee, NC(Zone 6b)

Thank you very much, James.

After close examination of the information on several websites, I have just about given up on a twiner. Now I believe I will have to go with Virginia creeper.

My question is, does it damage wood to have the Va. creeper attach to it? I assume so. Suppose I construct a sort of false wall in front of the real one for the creeper to grow up, and keep it trimmed to within the boundaries of that structure. It's not evergreen, which is too bad, but it may be the best I can do in building shade.

Denver, CO

Ah, wait- Go for Parthenocissus tricuspidata- the "Boston Ivy." It is more apt (and more reliably) suction-cup clinging and has the most amazing eye-popping rouge fall color. I can attest to the fact that it thrives on north walls. And- suction-cup or rootlet-clinging vines (i.e.: Above mentioned "Boston Ivy" and English Ivy, respectively.) are only as damaging in their weight. They simply put poundage on the wall (like a bookshelf, painting, whatnot) on it, but do not go forceably chewing a wall down. That idea would not be useful to them anyhow. The other problem that is associated with clinging vines directly on a wall is that their venturing branches will poke into big cracks and open spaces under eaves. All told, the real problem with clinging vines is when they are not cared for properly.

If you would go through the trouble of making an entire wall for it, then the trouble to build a trellis for a twining vine is less expending. Also, I could see that a nice gap between an original wall and a facade is asking for trouble- things living in it, plant and otherwise.

If you still have your heart set on evergreen, there are non-invasive (or less-invasive) Hederas out there. They cling by internodal rootlets. Of several types I am testing, one cultivar that I think has potential is "Yellow Ripple" of strong variegation.
Evergreen vines are excellent.

K. James

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

Why not espalier the virginia creeper? I have thought of VC many times for the cement foundation wall under my 12 foot high deck, but have not planted because of rodent concerns. If you espalier the vine, trimming into a nice diamond or trellis pattern, critters could not live in it.

The only other concern is that I have read that it can give a poison ivy-type rash to sensitive people. You might want to find out first if you are one of those people.

I actually bought seeds for a variety called Fenway Park (bright Fuschia fall color) last year, but none germinated. It really made me mad, because I spent 8.99 for 4 or 5 seeds.

Cullowhee, NC(Zone 6b)

Thanks-all good points. Especially the one about critters behind the wall. I think if my husband had his way we would have a yard-wide vegetation-free zone around the house. He is terrified of snakes; and we do have snakes. But I have the ability to distinguish between a dangerous snake and a non-dangerous snake. My husband is emotionally incapable of accepting the concept of a non-dangerous snake. He can't even approach a dead snake. He has trouble looking at pictures of snakes.

The best thing about trying Va. Creeper is that I would first go dig some up. It's all over in the woods here. There is some ivy under our deck which was planted by the previous owners, it looks like Boston Ivy to me. James, are you saying that if I keep an eye on the Boston ivy and cut it back whenever it starts to venture into a crack, the siding should be okay?
I might just try transplanting and see how it goes. What have I got to lose? I'll put some of both if I can, and let them duke it out.

Denver, CO

That's it, Miss. Trim off the unruly bits.
Sometimes the Virginia crepper, planted next to a wall, will know just what to do, and its twisting tendrils will turn into suction cups. Espalier is a fun thing, and Virginia creeper would be an easy choice.
May the best vine win!

Ivy1, who tried sold that to you? Fenway park is technically not propagatable by seed, although seedlings might look similar, with its golden-green color.

K. James

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

I went through Catalpa Tree Seed Co. at LocalHarvest.com. That's very interesting. I wonder what they sold me?

I just looked them up, and they are still selling seeds that they are calling Fenway Park.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.