MY first signs of spring

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Many of you already have these up but I was thrilled today after the snow melted.

Thumbnail by levilyla
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

And the niger ready to open

Thumbnail by levilyla
Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

Hi ! This is my first visit to this forum. Is that trillium? My only native trillium has a brown bloom , so I am blown away with that! Wish ours could be that bright. I actually have to go out in search of mine. You can step on them and not notice :(

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

The first one is hyemalis (winter aconite) and the second is Helleborus niger (christmas rose). Trillium will be up in May..I have the grandiflora and the sessile (Toad trillium)...definitely too early for them.

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4b)

Well it is fun to look and I am envous, but right at the moment it is -8º here and nothing is even thinking about growing.

East Moriches, NY(Zone 7a)

Thanks, levilyla!! I love those Winter Aconites! I have a very small patch of them, and I just think they're great. They're not a bulb that you see very often, but we should all have them in our yards!

zenpotter - that temperature is frightening! I'd love to be able to say I could make it through that kind of winter, but I don't know if I could! But I bet it's really beautiful in your part of the world when the growing season arrives! Good luck and stay warm...

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

eewww 8 degrees how horrible.....I don't think I could stand it.

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4b)

jamie61 and levilyla, This morning it is -11º with a 'wind chill' of -30º ugh. It is possible to adjust somewhat. We moved here 7 years ago from the Middle East where my DH and I were teaching in an English school. Before that it was Vennezuela. We are still alive, but boy do I complain.

Spring is such a treat.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

That's a BIG change in temperature....when does spring start in MN.? Probably when our summer is well on its' way.

Elmira, NY(Zone 6a)

The way I remember, there is no spring in Minnesota. It just goes directly to summer. But I was living up north, in Moorhead. The summer is wonderful - highs in the 70s and in the 40s at night. Great sleeping weather. Mosquitoes the size of hawks, though. You do get somewhat used to the cold up there, or I did. It got so when it was 45F, I'd got out in a t shirt. But when it gets below zero, everyone is cold. I remember it getting down to -35F there with wind coming down off the Canadian prairies. A tough place to garden, unless you really love cole crops and oriental greens, but beautiful.

Rockford, IL(Zone 4b)

I'm jealous, levilyla! It's -10 here today. I put in several hellebores last year, so I'm hoping for blooms in a few weeks when spring is a little closer. No winter aconite, though. I may have to put that on my "I want it" list.

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

lev--those little yellow flowers are so cute. I must remember to order some of those (bulbs, right?)...

I have about five of my new little snow drops blooming (it's a warmish 7 degrees here today!) and some buds on the daffs (that I am worried about).

Does anyone have Hazel blooming? I heard that comes out early but I wonder how early?

Keep warm everybody-- t.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Yes Tabaso, I have a couple and they have/are blooming.. 'Arnold Promise' and the native vernalis. Actually with the warm weather we HAD last week. It is 13 degrees this morning! My snowdrops WERE coming up and the aconite is not a bulb but a cormy like thing. Be glad to send you some .. when you order them from a catalogue they rarely do much. I also have tons of snowdrops if you want me to stick some in a bag. You look like you have a very mature garden already judging from the other forum....beautiful!

Thanks, lev-- good to know about the Witch Hazels. They must be fierce bloomers if they were out last week!

On the aconites, I wonder if they will bloom better if soaked in a hydrogen peroxide/water solution? (I'm 'into' H2O2 now--that's my latest obsession! Seems to be a miracle worker with plants...)

Our house was built in 1991 and we have lived here 2 years. I have been adding bulbs (galore) and lately shade perennials-- trying to 'enhance' the woodland effect. So the yard is sort of mature, but not quite 'finished'...(I get to do the fun part).

Now I'm trying wintersowing and learning a lot about flowering plants by doing that!...If that works out I hope to have a lot of plants to share.

Right now, lots of snow on the ground, so I don't have any 'signs of spring' to share. Boo hoo...

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Tell me about the H202 never heard of it.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Thanks for sharing levilyla. Hoping for hellebore blooms next year-fingers crossed. I have planted winter aconite before and nothing showed up, and I noticed you said catalog corms(?) rarely do much. How did you start yours?

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Transplanted from the roadside...In others words~~~~~stolen.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

LOL!

I have a friend who got "starts" from a cemetary!

LOL-- you naughty thing, lev! They are cute, but not worth jail time!

About the H2O2-- here's the thread--

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/576085/

apparently, there are lots of fans of the peroxide/water soak for seeds and watering sickly plants with peroxide...

Presque Isle, WI(Zone 3b)

Hey T, Need to look on Trees& Shrubs page 2 "Dawes Witchhazels in Bloom 2-11-06. Betcha you'll want at least one. Ken

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Here's the link: http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/575536/

alright! went over there and complimented him on his timely posts of the pretty Witch Hazels. I don't understand why everybody doesn't have them in their yards. A bright moment on these dull February days...

Thanks for the link. t.

Rockford, IL(Zone 4b)

Oh sure - show me witchhazels! Now I'll have to put those on my must-have list, along with everything else LOL

Stacy

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I want H. 'Diane'. it will be red and not a big as Arnold Promise. I also want a Corylopsis. so many plants no more room!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

And my Adonis this morning

Thumbnail by levilyla
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Wow! What a spectacular little gem!

I thought I posted this photo somewhere, but can't find where. Hellebores and Witch Hazel in the winter. My favorite winter combination. I need more Witch Hazels!

Thumbnail by
Rockford, IL(Zone 4b)

ooohhh! Thanks Pixy!

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4b)

Yesterday I noticed a hardy geramium peeking out of the ground on a west facing hill. Now that is one brave or very confused plant to face the Minnesota winter.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

That IS unusual

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

You have posted it before Pixydish, but I am not sure where either. Something maybe about textures in the garden or winter gardens?

Phoenix, MD(Zone 7a)

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/569558/

here it is!

Phoenix, MD(Zone 7a)

just go to threads you have started on you homepage here and you can find it hope that helps...

Oh yes, the 'what's blooming' thread. I can't say enough good things about witch hazel.

pixy-- pretty, pretty witch hazel and helleborus. I must get more witch hazels in my garden too. And hellebores, of course!

Rockford, IL(Zone 4b)

Here's one of my hellebores as of this morning. One fat little shoot coming up. A long way from a bloom, but a sign of life at least!

Thumbnail by sstateham

It's exciting, Stacy!!
One cannot have too many hellebores!

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Those temps are just terrible! I complain about being in zone 6. I live just north of Nashville and rarely do we have single digits. I have lenton roses budded but nothing is open yet. Oh, I do have a couple of yellow crocus that cheered my day.

Rockford, IL(Zone 4b)

The cold air keeps us young, Bluegrass. It's kind of like spending 1/2 the year in a meat locker.

Thumbnail by sstateham
Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

My sister lived in Princeton, years ago. I can remember the cold temps and drifting snows.
Cute picture, is that your little girl?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.