Is this called Purple Potato Vine or what?

Edinburg, TX

I have this growing on a trellis and it provides excellent foliage and lots of blooms...but I can't remember what the name of it is. The blooms are small and lavender in color. They grow in clusters and when the blooms die off the seed pods form in a cluster as well. They start out as green berries about the size of a big pea and turn red as they ripen. When cut open there are gobs of little seeds inside.

This vine is a prolific bloomer and even more prolific seeder!!!

~ Cat

Thumbnail by TexasPuddyPrint
Edinburg, TX

The seed berries...Cat

Edinburg, TX

The covered trellis...Cat

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

beautiful Cat. I think it is Solanum, Susie sent me some seed and they look like that. She said was Potatoe Vine. My seeds are just sprouting

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Solanum seaforthianum aka St. Vincent's lilac. I had a big vine a few years ago, but it got too cold and died - beautiful vine!

Edinburg, TX

Kay,

That is it! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

I kept looking up purple potato vine on the internet and could never find anything that resembled it!

Shall I add some berries to the YMG package I will be sending you?

~ Cat

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

No, I have a few from my plant that died. Maybe we can trade some plants when the weather warms in April. These root easily from soil-layering.

Mc Call Creek, MS

Hey Donna! If you have an extra seed sprouting, please save me one!

I still have not found your coral vine plant, but I have an idea where it might be. I turned a bunch of pots that I didn't have room for in the greenhouse one their sides and covered them with pine straw. I'll bet it's in under there!

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

Susie sent me seeds for that to and they came up so don't worry lol. Will save you a cup of potatoes vines. I am really likeing that Florida room. Am having great success with seeds for the first time in my life

This message was edited Feb 17, 2006 10:22 PM

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

now thats a nice plant. the flowers are pretty .

can i have a seed for this if anyone has one to spare?? i looked in the plant files and didnt see a listing for it or in the plant look for. maybe i am looking wrong. Thanks!

This message was edited Feb 18, 2006 9:31 AM

Mc Call Creek, MS

Thanks, Donna! I need to call you this week.

Kay

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.