Wisteria and heat tolerance

Lucerne Valley, CA(Zone 8a)

Greetings!!! New to the forums, been gardening in our interesting climate for a couple of years, now. Although I'm doing pretty well with my veggies, the extreme changes in temp here...My zone seems to change from 7 to 8 depending on the year. I'm trying to get started with some landscaping, and although for the most part I'm sticking with indiginous and drought tolerant varieties, I do have a few favorites that I'd like to include that are a bit outside of the usual desert flora. I'm wondering if anyone has any idea how heat tolerant Wisteria is, and/or if there is a particular variety that would be best. All the research I've done so far says that Wisteria will do well in my zone...the problem is that the hardiness zone refers to the LOW temp., and my concern is our month or so of over 100 degree F temps (sometimes staying over 110 F for a week or more at a time). So...any thoughts/experience???

Sour Lake, TX(Zone 9a)

Not sure if this helps any desert_witch but I am in zone 9a near Houston Texas
and we get very hot summers with high humidity here. I have a wisteria that I
have had planted for 15 years and it does wonderful with our weather. It is not
unusal for us to have 100 degree temps in the summer as well. Hope this helps
some.

Good luck,
Angela

Denver, CO

Wisteria are very heat tolerant. They may weep when it gets warm enough to have a bread bake, but will recover after sunset.

There is another temperature map- Heat Zones; counting the days and assigning the zones on how many days per year see temperatures over 80 degrees. Perhaps someone can shed some light on this and give us a Hyperlink.
K. James

Lucerne Valley, CA(Zone 8a)

Thank you everyone!!! I did find (Late last night, reading through books, unable to sleep due to a MAD case of spring fever) the AHS Heat Zone chart in a book I picked up at the library. I took a minute today to see if I could find it online. Here's the link to the AHS website, where you can download a pdf. file version of the map.
http://www.ahs.org/publications/heat_zone_map.htm

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.