Butterfly Bush

Summerville, SC

Hi all,

We had such a mild winter here in coastal SC that my butterfly bush never went dormant. Even with the couple nights' of hard freezes, the leaves today look like beautiful new growth. It really needs to be cut back to enoucrage blooming and also because it got too big last year. Is it safe to cut it back now or should I wait? I also need to re-seat the plant because it is leaning to one side. Can I do that now?

Thanks,

Cathy

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Cathy, I would wait a while before pruning. Cutting it back may stimulate new growth which would be very susceptible to cold damage - should we ever have any this year.

Summerville, SC

Thanks ardesia - I don't know what made me think February was the last of our freezing weather. Just too eager for spring, I guess.

Another question - my SIL in NJ cuts hers back about 1/2, but she told me that I should probably cut mine back more because it has a longer season. Any thoughts on how much I should cut back?

Thanks,
Cathy

Pickens, SC(Zone 7a)

I too am nervous about this as I need to prune mine this spring. One spring I pruned mine and did too good a job as it died :(

Selma, NC(Zone 7b)

I have lost more than one to pruning back too hard in spring(I think). I would be conservative with the pruning the first couple of years at least. A happy BB is gonna grow and bloom plenty even if it's not pruned as hard as it could have been.

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

i only cut off the dead part and the dead flower heads. i had one for 5 years( tried to move it with us but didnt take) and always had flowers on it every year and it got better and better. if unsure about the stalks scrape to see if still green if not cut back till its green.

if you live somewhere where there is snow then cut back heavily but i never have. they stay green here so i do management prunning.

heres a good site i got back when i first grew these bushes. http://www.mountainvalleygrowers.com/mvv2-94.htm

Summerville, SC

Thanks for all the thoughts about pruning - haven't been online because I had houseguests.

Imzadi, your suggestion that the pruning should be heavier in cold climates and lighter here in SC is the opposite of my sister-in-law told me, but your idea makes more sense. That website has great information and explained why they appeared decidious last winter, but kept their leaves this winter. It says you can prune to the ground, but this is only its second season, and I need to reseat the plant, so I'll take it easy on the pruning - especially after hearing Charlotteda and Chamthy's warnings. Thanks all!

Cathy

Pickens, SC(Zone 7a)

I would like to prune to control size for a few of mine.

I had a professional at a nursery in Seneca tell me to not prune until all chance of frost was past as a really cold spell after pruning could kill the plant but thats hard to understand since lots of northern folks cut them way back.

Cullowhee, NC(Zone 6b)

Great.

I thought I'd done the right thing with mine but now you've all got me thinking I've killed the lot.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.