Masja Purple/Blue - newbie gardener

Asheville, NC(Zone 7a)

I bought 2 dormant Masja purple/blue. They arrived today. Instructions were to water right away (they were not dry but I did it anyway), move to a larger pot and mulch with pine needles or whatever. I moved to a larger pot but did not add any more soil so there was space around the plant. I used old pine needles that were on the ground and also green needles from fallen branches and packed them all around and on top of dormant plants. I put the plants in an unheated room next to garage. OK, I'm done! Now what? I wait until nights stay above 32 (or more?) and then plant in ground? Could I put each hydrangea in a big pot to keep on my raised deck? I hadn't planned on adding hydrangeas to my container deck garden but the color just blew me away. Thanks for any help. I am reading the threads for more information. The plants look pretty dismal but allegedly they will burst into being after a month or so of sun. Yes? Oh, I live in zone 7a. ruby

Sorry no one got to you on this question. I'll give it a go. I would get some fresh potting soil and pot those plants up like you would any other plant. Then keep them somewhere that they can get the benefit of the changes in the light and the temperature without freezing. Keep the soil just moist, not too wet, but don't let it dry completely out. Let the roots develop in the pot until you are certain that your chance of frost has passed, then plant them out. You could certainly put them in pots on your deck, but I believe this shrub gets to be about 4 feet tall and wide, so the ground will likely be better. Also, you'll want to keep the soil on the acid side to keep that nice blue color. They should be showing some signs of leafing out soon.

Asheville, NC(Zone 7a)

Pixydish, thanks a lot for the info. I'm going to a seminar at my local nursery today on pruning even tho I have nothing to prune! I just like having a reason to go. I will ask them about how to make my soil more acid or how to test it. ruby

Sounds good. Your pine needles should do the trick.

Prattville, AL(Zone 8a)

You can make your soil more acidic by applying garden sulfur, but be careful. A little goes a long way, and it tends to remain in the soil a very long time. The pine straw will help over time.
Pixydish knows her stuff.

Right you are, sulfer will work, too but be careful. Also, plain old peat moss you can buy at Home Depot will help acidify the soil, plus the hydrangea will love the moisture retentive quality of it.

Asheville, NC(Zone 7a)

Peony and Pixy--thanks a lot for the info. Gathering the pine needles will be a nice meditative activity and peat moss is easier for me than knowing exactly how much sulfur to add. Bye. ruby

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Ruby, I lived in Asheville for years. My hydrangeas stayed in the ground although occasionally I'd lose a branch or two. They were in a bed up against the house and got east sun. When I moved to Hayesville (half a zone colder) I added oak leaf hydrangeas and they did better than the others at coming back.

Asheville, NC(Zone 7a)

Darius, my location is exactly the same. Against the white brick wall of the garage (under my apartment) so the contrast is going to be breathtaking, and getting east-east/south light. bye. ruby

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.