Stupid questions again-lighting for barns, sheds, landscape

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

All the electric wiring to and in the outbuildings here was fried, disconnected and/or just downright scary looking. Hubby is going to run all new electric to my other Sodium light and also to the barns and my little greenhouse. The previous lights are still there and I think they are just those ceramic fittings that you put a regular light bulb into. The garage has a bunch of workshop type lights-the long metal ones with 2 flurorescent bulbs. Those flicker, come on randomly, and basically keep the garage so dark it hurts your eyes to walk back out into sunlight. Since we are taking the time to do this all from scratch, I got to wondering what the safest, most efficient and friendliest type of lights are for outbuildings. I figured you guys are the best to ask.

It's not a major concern but how much lighting do you all have around your houses and how far out from the house? It's a little freaky out there all pitch black. LOL My kids don't even like to take the dog out! Once summer gets here, we'll want to be outside ALL the time but I think we all get a wee bit skiddish with that immense black hole behind our house. I'm not dump enough to try to light up the full seven acres or take on that power bill but would like to make an acre or so in back of the house more user friendly.

What would you guys suggest?

This thread has 28 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!