Jumble-aya, a-crawfish pie and-a filé gumbo (sorry, Hank)

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

PAULINE OWNS A TOMATO

The answer is the binomial scientific name of a pest plant in the southern US. Escalating clues can be provided if needed.

Atmore, AL(Zone 8b)

Paulownia ?

Atmore, AL(Zone 8b)

nevermind, I see the S now

Spring Valley, CA

Right the first time Paulownia tomentosa.

Atmore, AL(Zone 8b)

Okay, I wasn't thinking about the tomentosa part. LOL

Culpeper, VA(Zone 7a)

Actually, the jury seems to be out in many areas of Virginia with reference to Pawlonia's pest status due to it being in demand for furniture & other wood-manufactured items. In fact, about 4 years ago, a couple of guys in our area were arrested & fined heavily for going around onto private property, cutting them down, & selling them to lumber companies for quite a bit of $$.

I think our #1 pest tree around here is the one whose leaves & growth habit resembles Black Walnut - the name escapes me at the moment. It's everywhere, crowds out native species, & is extremely difficult to eradicate. I've been partially digging up & apply Round-Up to a couple of smallish ones sprouting in a flower bed for 10 years now, & they still come back eventually.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Breezy:

Well, theft is always a bad idea (despite the cheering that may come from the indigenous plant crowd). Those "entrepreneurs" should've gone to visit the staff at Great Smoky Mountains National Park and volunteered to remove all the plants that they're struggling to eradicate. They might have been paid to take them. Criminal minds...

Dontcha wish there would be something valuable to make out of Pueraria and Lonicera...they could steal all mine, wouldn't breathe a word.

Should add: Escondida got it.

This message was edited Feb 16, 2006 4:22 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.