early cabbages

Southern Mountains, GA(Zone 6b)

Yesterday I was in the local blue and white box store across the border from me in North Carolina. Of course I walked through the garden area to see what what happening and I was happily surprised to see they had a rack of early vegetables starts. That's pretty early for zone 6b but I bought a six pack anyway. The variety is Bonnie's Best Hybrid, whatever that might really be. I probably have a pretty good chance with them since I have a small patch of the very same variety in still edible form in the garden now under a row cover. Even made slaw from one of them this week and it was fresh and crunchy. That's the closest I've ever come to year round gardening ever. BTW, the Alaska pea seeds I planted in January are a no show, so far.

Thumbnail by roseone33
Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7b)

Hi Rose

I was also at a blue & white sot yesterday to pick up some seed starting supplies.

They were giving away some Bonnie cabbage seedlings named OS Crisp. Supposedly they grow 40 pound heads. Ever hear of it?

Southern Mountains, GA(Zone 6b)

Hello BronxBoy,
No, I can't say I ever heard of a cabbage named OS Crisp. What would anybody do with a 40 lb. cabbage, unless you're feeding a crowd or making sauerkraut? They weren't giving away anything yesterday or I probably would have taken it and planted it.
BTW, I'm a native NYer and even lived in the Bronx for a few months but it was a very long time ago.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.