Advice needed on storage of Dahlias

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

I'm new to Dahlias this year and I need some advice. My local Home Depot had some great deals, so my mom and I bought a bunch of tubers. We cut open the bags they were stored in so that we could trade with each other. The tubers were in great shape, except for a few skinny ones that were hollow. I just cut those off.

How should I store them, now that the bags are cut open?

Thank you for your time!

Laura

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

If they came in some material in the bags, usually peat, you can keep it in there in a non air tight bag. Or put them in a loose plastic grocery type bag with some extra vermiculite or peat. Then keep them from freezing in the big cold wave coming i.e. root cellar, cold room in basement, non freezing garage area etc. Coolers are good insulators. Boxes of wood shavings too.

You might check them every couple weeks and stir in a bit of water if they start to shrivel. A couple sprinkles should do it.
Do not plant too early! In our wet, cold springs, a lot are lost to rot. They say to wait til the soil consistently hits 50 degrees. If you plant them in pots, that would be earlier than if in the garden.

What kind/names did you find? We will all look forward to hearing about or seeing your flowers!

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

I love Issaquah! Such an artsy little town! My grandma lived there before she passed away. My uncle lived there with her and then moved to Port Ludlow.

My garage is insulated, so they should be safe in there. I have some extra peat moss from when I planted seed for my lawn, so I'll use that. I wasn't planning on planting them in the ground until the end of April/beginning of May. Would that be late enough? Most of Vancouver, WA is a zone 6, but I have a microclimate of zone 7b, so it's a bit warmer here.

All of the varieties I found were 4 tubers for $6.96, which seemed like a pretty good deal.

The ones my mom and I bought are:

Arabian Night-deep blackish burgundy

Papageno-orangey yellow with hints of pink

Hawaii-white, hot pink and yellow combo

Autumn Fairy-hot orange, shorter blooming

Rosella-hot pink dinner plate

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Very nice! I used to have Rosella and Hawaii is wonderful. Arabian Nights is a deep blackish red- lots of flowers too.

Issaquah used to be artsy, now it's more suburbanized with the usual traffic, development etc. We still have salmon swimming through town in October though which is cool.

End of April/early May sounds good for planting. I have to sit on my hands to wait that long but it's worth it to save your plants. You could start them early in pots and transplant when the ground heats up/dries out a bit too. I'm going to try that on a few.

Good luck with your new loot and stay warm!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.