Mother, May I ?

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

Does anyone remember the childhood game called, "Mother, May I ?". I can fondly recall that game, where, as a kid, I could walk forward or backward if I had the permission of the game leader.

I bring up this childhood game because I am reminded of those times when I work on a vintage quilt. Often, the fabric is gaudy or just plain UGLY, when I see it close-up. But when I step back a foot or three, I see a work of art.......

Here is a Jacob's Ladder that I bought off of eBay in 2003. It needed a few overlaid patches (appliqued over the original patchwork) and a new binding. And for $25 and a few hours, I became bound with some unknown woman's past-work and made it a part of my quilt collection.

What may not appear to be a work of art (because of functionality) was, at least, the handwork of a woman who hand-quilted this beauty for someone who used it. I made some repairs and loved every step of the way! When I was finished, I added it into my own quilt collection. And now, when I look at this Jacob's Ladder, I am reminded of "Mother, May I ?" .

Anyone else doing restorations or repairs with quilts from another era? I love the beauty of any quilt that is more artistic with a step-back or two, but a quilt from another era makes it even more enticing. I'd love to see what you have, so would others!

Thumbnail by LynnCanGrowIt
This thread has 8 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!