Azalea Begonia???

SE Arky, United States(Zone 8a)

Yesterday I was in WalMart in Monticello AR, and they had a plant marked: azalea/begonia

The plant looked like a rose with azalea appearing leaves. Was that an error, or is there such a plant, I suppose a cross??? If there is such a plant, I want to go back and get one and if you know anything about it's growing habits, I'd like to know about that also. TIA!!

Also, I have freesia bulbs, bloom tine June - Sept, and tuberose, bloom time May - August. I've never grown these and I'd like to know about their likes and dislikes. Again, TIA!!

Goodness, I hope that typeo wasn't in the subject line, I hate it when that happens...

This message was edited Feb 15, 2006 3:01 PM

Bay, AR(Zone 7a)

Hi, SherryLike

I hate that I can't answer your question, but I just couldn't stand seeing your post with no replies! Sorry! Sounds interesting, though. Azalea/begonia.... hmmmm..... Have you found out anything yet? I have seen stuff where, if the bloom resembles the bloom of another plant, they might name it something like that. Maybe it's a begonia variety that resembles an azalea?

And I don't have freesias or tuberose, either.

MAN!! I'm no help at all!!
Gail

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

I really think it's a typo, or (possibly) the name of a cultivar or group....or something. But I'd put good money on a bet it's not a cross between two members of very different families ;o)

Your feelings are like mine Terry, but it clearly says 'azalea/begonia' and the leaves look like an azalea and the flowers look like a rose, some double and some two toned. The tags were made special, but had zero info or instructions. One year, on this same table, Wal-Mart had a Christmas Rose, I had never heard of it, bought one and it bloomed from November until the next winter and it got outta my sight and froze, what a loss, it was a lovely plant and I've never been to locate another. If I thought the azalea/begonia was anything long lasting, blooming I'd love to have it. Theanks Gail and Terry. Do you know anything about Freezia and Tuberose?? I selected them because they bloom all summer,and they are fragrant, I love fragrant, ever blooming plants, or in this case bulbs. Can you think of others I might add. If it was an evergreen, I'd love that too. Sugarweed is sending me a ground cover gardenia that is ever blooming all summer and evergreen. Do you know of others I might add?? Thanks!!

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Sherry, why don't you post some photos of your mystery plant on the ID forum? That's probably the best place to get some educated guesses.

As to fragrant plants...I've got tuberose in a bed (it doesn't do well here - by the time the bulbs recover from winter and get good and warmed up here, it's too late to enjoy a good bloom display.) At 8a, you're a good full zone, maybe zone-and-a-half warmer than me, so I'll defer to others to guide you on choices suitable for your climate ;o)

Thanks, Terry!!! I will take my digi with me and try to get a pic of the plants. I hate to buy one, if it's 'just' an azalea because they bloom for such a short time. I was hoping others might have seen it since WalMart is such a common shopping place. I appreciate your post and your interest!!

Union Grove, AL

Tuberoses here ar iffy as well, we get one bloom flush and that is it. have had the best luck with well dug and ammended clay, about 1/3 mulch, clay and coarse sand, each. they do bloom and ,ultiply but nothing spectacular. Hopefully someone closer to you can help, they also seem to like fert.

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

That is a mysterious thing about the tuberoses. Mine love it here and thrive quite well. There are so many factors that affect plants that it is hard to know when something will do well or not. If someone says it can be grown in my area, I will try it. Other factors don't bother me until I can't grow something myself. Then I just move on to something that will do well for me.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.