Corn Gluten Meal

Kennesaw, GA(Zone 7a)

I'm a new member. I'm looking for bags of corn gluten meal as a natural weed preemergent for my yard. Does anyone have any contacts for the area or any mail order sources? Thank you for your help, Susan

Thumbnail by SusanCalvert
Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Susan, welcome.. Elizabeth's Feed and Seed in Marietta sells what they call "cracked corn".. I don't know if its the same thing, but you can look it up and see. I had considered using it as well, but have not found anything other than that.

If you are interested in coming to a Marietta gardeners Club meeting, please let me know.

:)

Susan

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

Hi Susan! Welcome to Daves Garden! I know you'll like it here.

I've never heard of corn gluten meal before. What is it and how does it work? I'm about to go to HD and get some pre-emergent this morning.

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Carmen, corn gluten is supposed to be a natural pre-emergent.. Might be more info somewhere, but that really all I know about it.

:)

Susan

We used corn gluten when our lawn was dug up.
It is fantastic when you tear out grass etc. and then ammend the soil and have to wait for planting like we did. It works well in grass - and is a main component of Preen.
http://www.gluten.iastate.edu/
We had purchased it from a seed/feed store, however the shop on Brannen road does not carry it.
Atlanta really lacks a garden center that focuses on alternative products. Some do, but only carry a few basic fertilizers etc. There is a place in Virginia (I know this doesn't help you) that we buy natural products from when we go to visit family. They are fantastically well stocked in organics.

GGG

Hahira, GA(Zone 8b)

Hi! I am very interested in using corn gluten meal - has anyone ever used it on a Centipede lawn? Thanks!

Corn gluten meal will work relatively well anywhere you do not want re-seeding to happen. There is a natural chemical in it which retards the germination of seeds - it should do the job anywhere it has been spread.

GGG

Dallas, GA

I know this is an old thread, but in case anyone else is looking for this in the ATL area, I actually found it at Pike's. I asked a man who worked there if they carry it, and he said no.

Two minutes later, I found it about 3 feet from where he had told me "no"... but it's labeled as organic pre-emergent weed control. Of course, the ingredients say that it's corn gluten meal.

This message was edited Aug 10, 2009 12:56 PM

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

I found the Preen brand of corn gluten at home depot on Saturday. Glad to see they are carrying it.

Dallas, GA

>> I found the Preen brand of corn gluten at home depot on Saturday. Glad to see they are carrying it.

Wow! That's what Preen is? or is that an organic product that Preen produces? Either way, I'm glad a place like HD carries it too! Darn, it was probably a lot less expensive than what I paid at Pike. Oh well.

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

Preen comes in chemical versions too. You have to read the label. The containers look the same and the labels are almost the same. The one I got is labeled for Vegetable gardens.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.