Winter Lettuce and Spinach

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

I'm going up to Michigan State on Friday to look at a project they have going to grow lettuece and spinach in hoop houses without ANY heat source.

I'm not quite sure how they do it, should be interesting. Will post pictures.

Paul

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

Went up to Mich State today to see their cold weather plantings.

It amazing the stuff they grow in UNHEATED hoophouses.
Spinach, chard, collards onions.
They have an organic CSA.

Thumbnail by paulgrow
Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

another picture

Thumbnail by paulgrow
Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

another

Thumbnail by paulgrow
Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

and one more

Thumbnail by paulgrow
AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

That is amazing Paul. What nice looking vegetables. I'd love to grow veggies in the winter. I got a catalogue a couple weeks ago that had hoop houses in it and they were very reasonably priced. I might look into trying something like this. Did they mention what the soil temperature is inside the hoop houses? I'm guessing they direct sowed the seed in the soil??? Any more information?

Brenda

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

Brenda
Yes they directed seeded in the fall.
They choose cold tolerant varieties and they get their seeds from Johnny's.

By contionus harvesting the plants produce all winter long.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

very cool paul!
it has to freeze in there at times doesnt it??/

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

Dori
They said it gets down close to zero at times.
If you don't touch the plants while they are frozen they thaw and the quality is not affected.

I picked a collard leaf and it tasted very sweer almost like cabbage. I also tasted some lettuce, it was excellent.

Paul

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

do you think i could grow this inside my unheated gh? Id like to try that if possible

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

Most definately, they get their seeds from Johnny's selecting cold hardy varieties.

He suggested reading a bok by Elliot Coleman who seems to be the gru of cold season gardening.

You cover the plants with plastic or remay inside the hoophouse. They built their supports from thinwall conduit, very inexpensive.

They don't even water, the plants get enough from the condension under the plastic. When the sun is out they roll the cover back and recover in the evening or on cloudy days.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.