How to treat possible scale on indoor plants

Fayetteville, NC(Zone 8a)

I have a ficus that has very sticky leaves, little spidery looking things on some of the stems and now the rubber plant that sits beneath it has the same thing. I think this is scale. Anyone know the best treatment for scale on houseplants?

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

I've had several scale infestations and this doesn't sound like it at all. I don't have a pic but you can probably find one.

Mine were little brown bumps on leaves and stems that look like a blister but are actually the shells of these sucking insects. They attach themselves and send a sucking tube into the plant and suck the juices. Then they spread. The usual treatment, I think, is to dab each one with rubbing alcohol. Mine got out of hand and I ditched the plant (not an important one anyway).

You may have spider mites. They usually gather on the underside of leaves, at the stem joint and along the veins. They secrete/excrete a shiny, sticky sap and often there are webby areas at the stem joint. Best treatment is insecticidal soap or a chemical miticide.

Hope this helps. --Andy

Fayetteville, NC(Zone 8a)

Andy,
I think you are exactly right. You are describing exactly what I am seeing on my plant.

I'm planning a trip to Home Depot tomorrow or the next day, and will get some of the soap.

Thanks for your help.

Diane

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.