Of Ranunculus and Peonies on the coast...

Norfolk, VA

Hello! I'm a newbie to this website, (and to gardening in general) but I am excited about both endevours. I live in Norfolk VA, very near the coast. Our micri-climate is actually zone 8A. I'm interested in growing Ranunculus bulbs and Peonies, and I wonder if anyone in my area has had any luck with them, as it seems they can be a bit tricky. All of my other garden selections are heat and humid tolerant (practical). I'd love some feedback from my neighbors!

Thanks!
Amanda

Frederick, MD(Zone 6a)

Welcome Amanda :)

Oh to be in your zone! I'm sure others in the coastal areas of Virginia will jump in though!!

Nice to meet you :)

Dea

Culpeper, VA(Zone 7a)

I too am interested in trying Ranunculus, but have a feeling it's going to be as iffy as my interest in trying Freesia - lol!!!

MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

Hi Amanda!
I can't help you much since I just moved here to the peninsula, (about an hour north of you) and haven't yet put in any gardens.

I have never tried Ranunculus at the house in MD (it's on the Ches. Bay). Peonies have done very well there for me though. It's a zone 7A there, but still get the coastal mist/wind etc.

Wanted to say "hello neighbor".

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Welcome Amanda!

Peonies grow great in the Mid-Atlantic. However, they should be planted in the Fall to get their roots established so they can provide gorgeous flowers in the Spring & Summer.

Sorry, I never grown Rannunculus either. Maybe someone else has.

Thumbnail by Shirley1md
Norfolk, VA

Thanks for the replies, it's good to hear from my neighbors!. I think I will do as suggested and try putting in a few peonies in the fall and see how it goes. The jury is still out on the ranunculus...maybe if I find a good price for a few bulbs I'll give it a try.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

i am assuming you are talking about the beautiful ranunculus asiaticus....it is not something that will do well for you. i believe you could have them planted in spring and then leftred when foliage yellows. They need very specific requirements..cool springs and very well drained. They are just plain difficult to have unless treated as a annual. The other ones are much easier but not as magnificent.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.