A Very Determined Datura

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

I have a datura that started coming back in December after it had been cut down to the ground and considered dead and gone. At least it's buddies in the same container were. This thing though has survived what will be 4 killing hard freezes now. It's unbelievable.

The picture was taken tonight 2/13. The temps tonight will be and for the last 3 nights have been in the mid 20's for over 5 hours!

X

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum
Phoenix, AZ

Lucky you!
I have perfect weather and mine refuse to germinate! I do have some in gel packets of GA-3 so we shall see?

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Lol .. Datura takes it's own sweet time .. try my method .. stick em in a pot and curse at them for 8 weeks then say to heck with it, stir up the soil and plant a different kind of seed in it and the datura will start sprouting. Never fails for me!

X

Huntsville, AL(Zone 7a)

X, that is one gorgeous dbl white. If it makes it and it has a pod or two, I'd gladly send a sasbe for a few seeds. As determined as it is, I just ~might~ be able to raise a few of them. ;)

Barb

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Barb I'm praying it makes it to flower, I may have sported a freeze hardy datura! If it makes it until Spring, I'm going to move it into a another large container. The white datura did so well in these containers that I want to plant them this year with black currant swirl dats and see if they do as well. The whites turned into monster size for a container, you can see how large the containers were in the picture.. I think the reason is because I didn't want to fill the whole thing up with Pro-Mix and filled it 3/4's with half green half composted grass.

I'd be delighted to send you some seeds. I'll give you my address in a d-mail .. just send me 2 stamps.

X

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum
Texas/Okla central b, United States(Zone 7b)

xeramtheum

WOW! is that a double white?..got any extra seed for trade?

Tyler, TX(Zone 8a)

That may be a cold hardy plant. If you have 4or5 seeds I could try in 8a, East Tx. I will plant them and see what they do here. I will lable them and let you know what happened.
Joan

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

I'd like to report that the datura is still going. I haven't watered it or covered it, I left it on its own! I'm going to move it to another container probably next weekend! If I get pods, I'll be happy to send a few seeds to different Zones to see how cold hardy it really is! I think the white spots on the leaves are from urine from a Tom cat marking his territory.

X

This message was edited Mar 27, 2006 8:01 AM

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum
comebychance, NL(Zone 5b)

why do everyone say thay are slow to germanate.I put seeds in paper towels on march 17 i now have 9 plants growing,wasn't ready for them to grow so quick.What happened this is my first time trying to grow them.

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Wow! I'll have to try that method. I've got 2 coming up I planted 3 weeks ago using the curse, stir and plant other seeds in the pot method.

Could you be a bit more specific? How moist were the towels? Plain white or colored? Wrapped in plastic or put in baggie? Any heat source?

X

Tyler, TX(Zone 8a)

When I add heat they do come up a lot faster.

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Well jes, I only have 2 heating pads, both in use .. one for the hermit crabs and the other for the cat food. The cat food pad is on a timer and turns on an hour before I get up so the cats can have a hot breakfast. I made the horrific mistake of putting cat food in the microwave to heat it up. Ewwwwww. The memory of the stink still makes me cringe. The hermit crabs have to have the heat .. the cats on the other hand may be eating cold cat food for awhile....naahhhhhh .. can't do that to them .. the dats will have to wait.

X

Tyler, TX(Zone 8a)

Please do not tell my cats that you heat your cats food or my cats will think they are mistreated. Joan

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Lol, I won't say anything .. In my old house I used to put them on top of the heat register, in this house they are in the ceilings. I started heating their morning meal after seeing a Discovery Channel documentary on cats that said they like their food at 98 degrees, about the temperature of a fresh caught mouse!

comebychance, NL(Zone 5b)

will i now have 20 of the daturas up and growing ,im so proud i feel like a new dad lol.
Xeramtheum all i did was i used a tuff paper towel,the ones from work
{i took them from the bathroom ,will thay fill into my pocket thay are realy strong workes great}
soke them realy good and squesed the water out not to dry folded the towel in fouths on one forth i put the seeds then folded the other forth over them,placed it in a zip lock plastic bag,never used the heating pads i put them on top of my fredge it's warm up there .
I couldnt get over how fast it worked keeped checking them every day when the little root started to come out i would pot it up.

This message was edited Mar 31, 2006 3:37 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.