Decorative tomato/vine trellis

Alpena, MI(Zone 4b)

Last summer, I spent a lot of time building a stone wall and path behind my garage. I did this because I wanted to play with rocks, but also because I needed more garden area for some herbs (my wife wants me to grow basil and cilantro). I've always grown tomatoes against the garage using tomato cages, but now that I've spent all this time on my path and wall, I want the tomatoes to look nice too. I posted a question on GardenWeb last fall asking for ideas for a trellis and I've been pondering my options this winter. Since spring is only a couple months away here, I thought I should finally make up my mind before it's too late.

I have about 16 feet to work with. I usually only plant about 6-8 tomatoes, usually some Sweet 100's and a full size tomato. I'm thinking about building a trellis out of 4x4 or 6x6 posts with a square gridwork of smaller wood inbetween. I don't really want to attach it to the wall, so it will be freestanding out about 6 inches to a foot out from the wall. Since that wall is so bare, I'm thinking of making the trellis taller than it needs to be for my tomatoes and then growing a decorative vine up either side and across the top. In front of the trellis, I'll plant a variety of herbs both above and below the wall. I already have elfin thyme planted between the stones.

Here are my questions:
1.) How tall should the trellis be for a decorative vine?
2.) I've never grown a vine before, so what's a good one? Would clematis work well?
3.) Will a vine take up too much of my tomato growing space, or will it mostly just go up and over the top if I train it that way?
4.) I realize I'll have to tie the tomatoes to the trellis, but what would a good spacing for the wooden gridwork?
5.) Does anyone have a picture of a nice looking trellis that might look good here?
6.) There's a drip line out about 18 inches from the wall. Is it ok to build inside the dripline?
7.) I'm open to any other planting suggestions for this area. I want it to be mainly an herb garden, but I'm also open to other things that would look good here. The plants in the picture are mostly just being stored here for now. Herbs I have to use here already: basil, cilantro, sage, 3 types of thyme, chives, garlic, and lavender.

More picures of this area and the rest of my yard: http://homepage.mac.com/abramr/gardening/index.html

Thanks for any suggestions you have.

Thumbnail by jugglerguy
This thread has 7 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!