How to heat mini greenhouse?

Cullowhee, NC(Zone 6b)

I bought the PVC-covered "grow rack" seen in this photo and I have it placed on my deck right in front of an outdoor electrical outlet. My question is, is there a heat lamp or other device I can plug into this outlet and put in the mini-greenhouse to warm it up? Any suggestions? Would just a plain incandescent lamp be enough? I want to put seedlings started indoors out there when I pot them on.

Thumbnail by missgarney
Pickens, SC(Zone 7a)

When I think of heat lamps I imagine the ones that we use for the goats when they have a cold. I would think that would be too much...

I would try either a regular light bulb or a very small electric heater with a thermostat :)

remember...if its in full sun it may very well get too hot too !!!

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

MG, I'd be careful using light bulbs or heaters for something that small, it could melt the PVC and possibly catch fire. Instead why don't you try some heating pads set on low for each shelf? That's what I use for my seed starting rack even thought it doesn't have PVC on it.

X

Cullowhee, NC(Zone 6b)

I do have seedling warming mats which I use for the plants I start under lights. I could get a few more to put in this grow rack.

Thanks to all for the suggestions.

Miss Garney

Southwestern, OH(Zone 6b)

I'd put the mat on the bottom, it will help heat the whole thing. I have one like this, and when it's all zipped up and tied at the bottom, it holds the heat pretty well. I think if you put a mat on each shelf it would make it too hot inside.

Pickens, SC(Zone 7a)

Great idea..you guys are so smart !! Yes...I think as with any small space..you need to be concerned about getting it too hot.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.