Ideas for container next to front door:

Fairfax, CA(Zone 9a)

There's a space next to my front door on the left (see below) which is 18" x 43". While the blue planter box to the right gets a few hours of morning sun, this spot gets none, as it faces northeast. I'd like to put a container there with some kind of attractive evergreen vine or vertical shrub or something! which looks nice, maybe smells good, and won't grow out too far to obstruct the entry into the door. In the photo, it shows a maidenhair fern I had there awhile, but it bit the dust in one of our few hard frosts last year, with a little neglect thrown in ;^(

Any ideas? Thanks, Karen.

Thumbnail by karenM
Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

Unless you just hate the thought, an ivy topiary would be great there. Google Ivy Topiary and click on "image" for lots of ideas. You can use variegated ivy that is slow growing and will be stunning.

Carmen

Rockford, IL(Zone 4b)

Love the colors on the door and trim! Very charming

How about a shade tolerant grass. I think Carex would take full shade, and they're pretty tolerant of neglect once they're established.

I think, not positive... that I might have an idea. I ran across it quite by accident looking for something for a corner of my bathroom that received a lot of bright indirect light but no direct sunlight what so ever. I have had this plant for a bit now and haven't killed it. I bet you could grow it outside year round-
Zamioculcas zamiifolia
http://www.butlersnursery.com/zz/index.asp

PlantFiles says it is hardy in your zone-
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/2142/index.html

I've got one and I haven't killed it yet.

Fairfax, CA(Zone 9a)

Thanks, all for input so far. Actually, topiary is not my cup of tea, pins--stylewise or patience-wise ;^)

I appreciate the lead on the Zamioculcas zamiifolia, Equilibrium. It's a definite contender for the lower plants. I'm hoping to create a planting of mixed textures and colors, to include something which will be tall [maybe 5' or so] against the 43" deep wall to the left of the door. I'm thinking of a shade blooming clematis--either on a trellis, or mo better, on an evergreen host, so there'd be some winter interest.

Any ideas for such a vertical "host" plant, which would contrast nicely with the Zamioculcas, which I could use a row of below? Maybe some other evergreen vine to grow the clematis through?

Come on, all you creative sorts!

Thanks again, Karen

Chesterland, OH(Zone 5b)

While I am still thinking about vertical, what about a rex begonia for the lower half?
Shady

Fairfax, CA(Zone 9a)

Hey, Shady! That's a good idea. I saw one on another forum here which just blew me away. I'll post a photo below. Today, I saw a tall Dracena I'm considering for the back corner, with a rectangular planter along the wall in front of it. I could put a rex in there--I gather there are many types.

Rex Begonia: Escargot

Thumbnail by karenM
Chesterland, OH(Zone 5b)

I have seen Escargot it is very cool! There are lots of varieties. Its a good way to get some color and texture for low light areas.
Shady
Forgot to say I love your front entrance way, what a fun way to great your guests. A plant like the Escargot would fit right in, in a 'fun way'

This message was edited Feb 18, 2006 5:45 PM

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

I think a phormium would go well in your pot if you can find one that is upright. They do well in pots, are tough, don't mind light shade, are evergreen, and generally very easy!

This link gives you 42 (more than 1 page) to look at, they are growers but many nurseries stock them.

http://www.smgrowers.com/search/basesearch.asp?strSearchText=phormium&x=10&y=13

I have a P. Jester next to my back door, although it has arching leaves.

Thumbnail by wallaby1
Chesterland, OH(Zone 5b)

Wallaby, what a great link. I will have to look around for some this spring for my pots. I see some are more shade tolerant than others. A number of them would look good with Escargot or other Rex's.
BTW, your Jester is great.
Shady

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

I love them, I have a few more, never can have enough of these!

Hey Karen, that ZZ Plant can attain some height. I was at a gardening center the other day and I saw one that was over 3' tall. Mine is about 18" tall but it has actually grown since I purchased it. Imagine that.

You mentioned wanting a suggestion for a verticle host plant and I'm at a loss. I've only got this one bathroom where I can experiment and so far the only thing coming to mind might be some sort of a Hoya that could be trained up bamboo. Those are pretty darn bombproof which is why I like them. I haven't killed any of those yet either. Best to ask some Hoya folk which type might be best for your particular situation.

I love the color of your home and I love the way you matched flowering plants to your paint. That was actually the reason why I thought of a Hoya. I've seen some that bloom the color of some of your paint.

Fairfax, CA(Zone 9a)

Thanks, everybody! I've had internetus interruptus, so am just catching up on your great contributions. I'm expecially glad to hear of phormium being shade tolerant, and the San Marcos page is a great resource. The problem with the Phormium in this location is that I fear it'd get too big width-wise, as it's 18" from wall to door.

I got a suggestion about using a Dracaena Marginata for the corner by the door--photo below--and I saw a gorgeous but pricey specimen at a local nursery. Almost bought it, thinking I'd use it as a point of departure for other container plantings in front of it; but got to obsessing over whether it can handle our occasional cold mornings, should I forget to check weather the night before. Anyone use Dracaena outside? It's rather protected in that corner by the door from frost, but, some mornings are in the 30's.

Good heads up on the height of zz, E. I almost ordered one, but am not yet decided on a whole game plan.

Thanks for your comments, all, about my crazy house colors. When i did it up that way, I was into pretending I live in Provence--an understandable but silly notion for the rural Marin hood I'm in. And, the boring ranch house I inherited doesn't exactly lend itself to this treatment design wise ;^) But, I do enjoy it, too.

Karen

Thumbnail by karenM
Thornton, IL

kmick - I have a dracaena marginata potted up with a creeping wire vine Muehlenbeckia and a fiber optic grass Scirpus or Isolepsis cernus. Since it is much colder here than where you are, I think this could be an option for you. Freezing temps are below 30, 30s should be okay, particularly with frost protection. Best to use water-holding gel in the soil, and don't leave any dirt showing in the pot, for added protection. I love all of the new coleus cultivars for spring and summer color. Pinch them to get best branching.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.