How Much Snow Did You Get???

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Time to dig out your ruler & yard sticks and take snow fall measurements! According to our local meteorologist, Justin Berk, the way to get an accurate count is to take three different readings from around your yard. Then figure out the average of those readings and you will have a pretty accurate measurement of snow in your area.

So, start posting them here! Pictures are greatly appreciated too!!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6a)

After all is said and done, 9" is what we got. But oh no, we got a bonus too ;) This morning very, very early our pump decided to go on us :(

Now if you live in a rural area, ya know what that means.....no water, as in no toilet flushing, as in no shower, no running water of any kind ! Yes, we do have a large supply of bottled water but that gets a bit expensive for the several gallons necessary per flush :0

We're lucky to live about 7 minutes from our office where the toilets are clean and operable ;)

Dea

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

Oh man, Dea. That could get to be a real pain. Maybe it's just frozen?

I'm going out to take measurements with Shirley's method. And I have a few pics that look pretty good. Will report back! It looks sooooo lovely and peaceful out there.

Thumbnail by mickgene
Frederick, MD(Zone 6a)

Very pretty :)

No, DH Michael is an ex-builder so he's changed out the electrical boxes as there was a tiny burn mark, but alas, it's the pump itself which means it's got to be pulled and that's not going to happen until tomorrow.

The snow is a blessing in disguise.....we can melt it and use it for "forced flushings" ;)

Dea

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Sorry about the plumbing Dea. Know what you mean as this time of year the water is turned off at the cabin we keep 5 gallong jugs of water around and use a pump to pump it into the commode for flushing.
Snow, well appears only 4-5 inches here and quite pretty. Today still flurries, but about 40 out and the roads are drying out.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6a)

Thanks Candee :) I understand congrats are in order for you with a grandchild on the way !!! We just got the news also - our first due September 9th :) We can't wait !!!!

Dea

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

That means you're making lemonade (with the lemons, that is :)) Dea.

We have about 13" Here's the front hill this morning.

Thumbnail by mickgene
Frederick, MD(Zone 6a)

So peaceful - it's Michelle, right? Great snap :)

Dea

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

Congrats to you both!
I supposed to be in South Boston, VA for my new nephew's baptism today but this snow and forecast for ice down there kept us home.

This 'Midwinter Fire' dogwood has never looked so pretty as this morning with it's color against the snow.

Thumbnail by mickgene
Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

Yes, Dea. It's Michele. Not so peaceful now with the snowblower going, though. After an hour spent replacing the auger drive belt in the snow because the chipmunks had been camping out there and ate into it!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6a)

Ahhhhhh, rural living ;)

Dea

We received about 16" of snow in my neck of the woods. I've been outside shoveling with DH since posting this thread earlier today. The snow plow actually came down our street around 3:00 this afternoon. We live at the bottom of a cul-de-sac and unfortunately, the plows just push mountains of snow back on our recently shoveled driveway, in front of your mailbox and re-created Mt. Everest in front of the storm drain!!! We'll have to build an ark when all that snow starts to melt by mid-week. The Weather Channel is predicting a warm up of 50 degree by Wednesday! Weather during the month of February is SO fickle!!

I'm so sorry to hear about your pump, Dea! Hopefully, your heat is still working! That's would be the pits if your heating unit gave out right about now!!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6a)

Wow Shirley!!! They said it would be a coastal event and they were right there with you being due east of us. 16" !!!!!

The many variations in the Mid Atlantic :)

Dea

Yuph! We got the majority of snow between midnight & 3:00a.m.! It sure was purdy....until you have to shovel all of it! :~( We even had to shovel part of the back yard so that Ginger could go potty! The snow was almost up to her neck and she just wanted to get back inside as quickly as possible!

Snow capped feeders!

Thumbnail by Shirley1md

Almost up to her neck in snow!

Thumbnail by Shirley1md

Wintersown jugs under a cushion of soft white snow.

Thumbnail by Shirley1md

A dollop of snow

Thumbnail by Shirley1md

Left side of backyard

Thumbnail by Shirley1md

Snuggling up close to the house

Thumbnail by Shirley1md
Frederick, MD(Zone 6a)

Great photos Shirley - now go back inside - it's COLD outside !!! lol

Dea

Culpeper, VA(Zone 7a)

We received a solid 11", some of it conveniently drifting higher - most of it specifically in the paths I had to take today - lol. And as I said this morning on the other snowstorm thread:

"No - sorry, no pics. I'm too busy lying here trying to restart my heart after lugging 200 feet of "Mr. Hose" from his warm home in the basement thru 11" of wet, heavy semi-drifted snow to the barn - lol."

A lovely sentiment that I will be repeating in a couple of hours from now.

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7a)

We've been without power since last night. We just got it turned on around 8pm. We have a generator that we hooked the furnace up to and the fridge but other than that we had fun 'roughing' it with hot dogs on the grill for lunch and turkey sandwiches by candlelight for dinner. The kids loved it! I am glad to have power again though!

I measured 7 inches of snowfall this morning. Not as bad as 12" but enough that the kids could get some serious speed going down our sledding hill in the backyard!

-Garity

I'm glad to hear that you got your power back! It's really nice to have heat in mid-February! The kids probably thought it was a great adventure!

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

We had 13'' in our driveway today. What a mess, my granddaughter was Christened and we had to car pool everyone to my house. Luckily we all live pretty close and with 3 four wheel drives it wasn't to bad. Of all weekends for it to snow!! What a fun day it was though!!

Thumbnail by luvsgrtdanes
(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

There was a patio here!!

Thumbnail by luvsgrtdanes

Neat snow pics, luvsgrtdanes! I especially like the patio shot, it looks like Buckingham Palace guards with those fluffy hats on! Glad you were able to have your granddaughter's christening, in spite of this weather!!

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Hi All, Looks like you got the pasty/sticky type snow. Any Snow Men popping up?
Love your patio, Luvs!
We had the fluffy/blow around stuff. 15 inches of it.
Andy P

Crozet, VA

My husband measured on Sunday morning and said that we had 7 inches. It is supposed to be in the 50's today, temp wise, so a lot of it will go away. No school closing here, but a few opened a couple of hours late. And yes, it is really pretty to see snow laying on the ground before it begins to melt and get mixed with mud.

DH and I were amazed by the birds who decided to spend most of their day at our feeders. Usually when I look out window, I see two or three birds per feeder. Yesterday there must have been about ten at each of my two bird feeders. Next winter I will probably do a few more feeders. I love watching the birds play.

Anyway folks, glad that we all made it through the storm. Sorry about those who lost power. I hate it when power is out. Have a great afternoon all.

Ruby

Culpeper, VA(Zone 7a)

It's hard to believe after this weekend that the forecasted daytime temps here in Culpeper for Thursday into the weekend are in the low 60's!!!!

MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

At the house in MD we got about 6"... here on the shore we got rain and flurries :) It's cold today, but supposed to warm up to mid 50's by Wednesday! :)

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

We got 18 inches...this is my lower pond.

Thumbnail by levilyla
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

and Luke...enjoying the snow.

Thumbnail by levilyla
Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Let me throw in a pic of Sarah playing yesterday.
She was born in Florida and now lives up here. Does that make her a Mid Atlantic dog?
Andy P

Thumbnail by Sarahskeeper
Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

Whatever you consider her, she looks like she really enjoys the snow!

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Thanks, You would never know that she had a broken leg when I got her. Unless you looked closely at how she walks.
Andy P

Frederick, MD(Zone 6a)

Great photos everyone! Make sure you keep them when it comes time to submit for next Winter's photo Banner :)

Dea

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Hey!!! Glad we all have something in common to share here!

I live near White Marsh Mall in NE Baltimore County. I think it would be nice if anyone living around Baltimore would say what area they live in. That way, if I had a fellow DG'er near me, we could get together and "compare notes" over some coffe or wine. What do you say???

I think I had about 15" to deal with Sunday morning. I had to be at work (good ols HD) at 9AM, so I got up early and started shoveling. Man!!!! I was at it for over an hour--just to get from my front door to my car in the driveway. Then I had to shovel out my driveway. My body's too ols for this kind of stuff, but I made it. Finished with the front sidewalk this morning (Monday).

Here's my car half cleared off.

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Here are the results of my hard work about an hour later.

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

This was taken this morning in my back yard. I LOVE icicles!!!

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.