Let's shake up the gray matter

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

I like jumbles; I've sent a number of these as responses to our local TV/radio garden guru when I get the "help me ID this" emails. Nothing in life is free...

Anyway, the answer is the binomial scientific name of a tree normally found in the eastern US. Escalating clues can be provided if needed.

VAINLY SASSY CAT

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Nyssa sylvatica

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Just saw this - love jumbles, but not as fast as you tapla :)

Presque Isle, WI(Zone 3b)

DblV, that's all?..... You big tease. Not that I'm a player here, I just like to see your mind work. Ken

The next hint is.....well, tapla didn't give anybody else a chance! Guess I should've checked in before heading out the door.

Alright, I'll post a new one, now that I'm freshly back from The Excellent Adventure.

Now, Kannedham, that was backhanded...

Oregon City, OR(Zone 8b)

I hope you don't get mad at me for offering an easy way to get the answer:

http://wordsmith.org/anagram/

This is a fun site. Try entering your name and it will spit out anagrams of your name.

Hi Owl:

Unless there's a new species known as Catalysis navys, I don't see where that site is too helpful. I'm not sure it understands botanical or scientific Latin terms.

It didn't even offer an answer to any of the other jumbles I've posted, using Latin as the language. I suppose if people don't want to figure out answers themselves, they could get some website to do it for them, but where's the fun in that?

I'm going to post a picture at the end of the thread when the jumble is solved. That will hopefully allow these to move quietly off the front burner.

Here's a couple of nice Nyssa from where I work.

Thumbnail by ViburnumValley

Makes you almost willing to skip spring and summer just to be able to get back to fall again.

Kandlabra:

You must've blinked. Isn't that what just happened up there?

It was 50ºF (10ºC) there on Wednesday; scout's honor, we were in Clinton, WI and had a very nice lunch. Now, the thermometer's frozen to your fingers. Good thing Deranged and I got out of town and took all that nice weather back here to KY with us.

Unfortunately, some of YOUR weather seems to have followed us. Going down to single digits Saturday night. Gonna wipe out my viburnum blossoms, sweet pink fragrance and all.

V2, a nice lunch in Clinton isn"t even a sniff of the north country. However, you must see how dangerous these road trips really are for you of thin blood. You took a great chance and were lucky to make it back with your blood still flowing. Surely you jest about the beloved V's in bloom?

KarnaktheMagnificent:

No jest-ation. Viburnum x bodnantense 'Dawn' is revealing its wares as we type. Shame to lose a crop, but I've cut branch bundles so that I can partake of its bouquet while I commiserate indoors.

I have to use this line again (blame Equinox; she started it):

Know thine opponent.

I've got the best of genetics, staminate circa Kewaunee and pistillate Middleton, respectively. Just because I was transplanted outside my indigenous territory (does that make me a non-native invasive?), doesn't mean I can't tolerate the inherent traits endowed upon me at birth.

I really miss winters. That's why I'd be fool enough to head into the teeth of the Great White North in February, fast on the heels of knee surgery. The Call of the Wild (sorry, Jack).

Brain Dead Equinox is unavailable... going through chocolate deprivation DTs. No chocolate will ever taste the same again in my life, not even Fannie Mae's semi-sweet raspberry creams. Oh woe is me.

Quoting:
I've got the best of genetics, staminate circa Kewaunee and pistillate Middleton, respectively.
Well! Let me tell you to move your butt over because you've got stiff competition buddy. I've got some of the best of genetics for Rhamnus cathartica, R. utilis, R. frangula, R.davurica, and R. japonica over here and my plants do tricks. They change sex so top that one!

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

They change sex so top that one! Dave is going to be mad. Lol I'm practicing pasting the DG highlights. Just ignore me.

Exsculptate:

Do you use alternating pink and blue holiday lights on those?

Get you some Tubercularia ulmea, and quit bragging.

You'll have to get in line behind Guy and Kevin (where you won't even be seen, unless you get out the heavy-duty hardware and "cut them down to size") for satiation of your latest infatuation. They done got dibs, and there's a lot of them to fill up.

Sofarsogood:

Darn shame that The Last Frontier is so tiny and boring that you've descended to cutting and pasting chat (albeit DG chat).

At least show us more fish pictures while we're ignoring you.

I'm also bailing out of this solved thread to start a new one.

Hmm, alternating pink and blue holiday lights, now there's an idea. All the better to make them stand out my dear. You're just too darn creative for me but you still can't top the tricks my Rhamnus does.

You do realize I've got U. pumila here also, don't you? I'm working on those too. Please do come and share some Tubercularia ulmea with me. Perhaps it will make my work here easier. Come to think of it, maybe I do need some of that "good stuff" over here... it might spread from the Ulmus pumila to the Elaeagnus angustifolia my neighbors keep planting.

I could set up a platform behind Guy and Kevin and stand on that and frantically wave my arms thus drawing attention to myself. Would that work? Better yet, from that scaffolding I could sort of give them a little shove. Nothing better than knocking down the competition.

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

I gotta tell ya Equil, you're a sweetie but if you get between me and Swintosky chocolate you're toast!

Guy S.

Guy honey,

Have Weed Wrench and would use it if provoked.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Boy we cowboys here in Montana are getting scared. We try to get along here with our neighbors and friends. Though it would be interesting to see how Weed Wrench injuries look in a ER exam room.
I was trying to figure how to hilight the Quotes like I see in all the discussions in Blue. Mine did not do it like everyone else. Hey any way I am stuck here in the bleak and bland AK. today I got up to fog over the bay in front of the house with the moon perfectly outlined by the fog and the nearby mountain in glorious spendor with pink sunrise painting the surface of newly fallen snow. Shi..... I forgot my digital camera. I have a few more pictures of digital on this computer.
This is my Japanese soaking tub for when I come in from a long day of fishing.

Thumbnail by Soferdig

With the latest media darlings in control of the "wild west" I would imagine the cowboys of MT arn't even meeting eyes let alone greeting each other on the street. I have to hand it to you though Sofa, you are living the "good life". Is this what you are used to in Kalispel? Ken

Oh my, haven't seen a Japanese soaking tub in a while. Do you have an authentic Japanese showering area too? The kind where you have to squat and shower using the hand held equivalent of a garden hose with a shower head on it?

Umm, do you worldly Montana cowboys know how much a Weed Wrench weighs or what they look like?
http://www.canonbal.org/weed.html

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Ken well I agree we have been challenged here with "The Movie" but I have several friends that I love dearly who would like to work on Broke back Mountain. God has created all of us differently. And yes we still smile and say Hi to everyone we pass on the streets of Montucky.
Actually I just finished a sauna (less heater) in my basement and put in a Jaccuzi tub for my wife in our master bath. So soon I'll put in a Soaking tub as soon as I stop gardening.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Equilibrium wow I never have seen such a hemmoroid maker. Why would anyone need such a torture divice? In Montana we just dig a hole and wrap a chain and tie it to an oxen/Draft horse and go Gee-Haw. Lately we have called Ford Motor company for a comercial to have them pull it.

Stand back Buckthorn, here comes Equil! That's some tool, heavier duty than my steel fence post puller.

Fresh out of anything with Draft blood up this way... we do have a lot of Thoroughbreds though. This is hunter jumper land folks.

Actually, the design is superior. If I can use one of these, you two could easily use one. I use the light version and my husband uses the medium version. This is truly one of those tools that is near and dear to my heart. This weed wrench pulls smaller trees right out of the ground like butter. No chemicals at all gentlemen.

I used to use this Cub Cadet garden tractor we have but the weed wrench is much better. Come on Mikeys! Try one, you'll like it.

Atchison, KS(Zone 6a)

"18:1gripping leverage",said the Weed Wrench.

Pretty neat, eh? I bought it on a fluke pretty much convinced it would end up in the tool graveyard but people kept raving about this thing so I broke down and ordered one. I have easily removed over a thousand ickies with the light version and after you yank out the nasty, you just beat the roots on the ground to make them release the soil and then fill in the hole. No fuss no muss. I'd say this and my planting bar are "can't live withouts".

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I cannot take out a tree with out planting it elsewere. I would feel like I was evicerating William Wallace. Trees are my brothers and sisters in life. I stand in awe of survivors of mass clear cutting. Even the Invasive ones I have to say a thankyou to before I cut it.

Well, clear cut the invasive ones away with wild abandon and feel no guilt because by definition, they are not trees or shrubs... they are noxious weeds or exotic invasive plants.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Ahhhh that solves it. Anything that is taller than me is honored. Weeds think Weeds, think Invasive, think invasive. My mantra is changing I hope.

Honoring anything taller than you might not be a great catchall mantra. If you're sincere, I might be able to whip up some soothing audio casettes for you to play at night when you go to sleep to help you with differentiating between taller good plants and taller bad plants.

deeeeeeeeeeeeestroy Ailaaaaaaaaaaaaaanthus
deeeeeeeeeeeeestroy Rhaaaaaaaaaaaaaamnus
deeeeeeeeeeeeestroy Taaaaaaaaaaaaaaamarix
deeeeeeeeeeeeestroy Caaaaaaaaaaaaaleryana
deeeeeeeeeeeeestroy Albiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiizia

Would this help?

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Watch out, you Albizia murderer! And I'm not afraid of your weed wrench either -- I used to have one of those beasts (the original, first-year-issue, monster model), and I doubt you could lift it high enough to hit me with it!

Guy S.
(edited for typos)

This message was edited Feb 18, 2006 8:20 PM

Denver, CO

I love Albizia. It is a gorgeus not-weed here.

But you folks should see the Tamarix Army. No less than a bunch of Botanical Rambos; torn hankercheifs tied around their heads, White (where did they get white?) "Metallica" shirts, tamarix-blood stained boots, and bigger and sharper things than weed wrenches in arm. Like tank backup, they drive thier front-end loaders full of decapitated boughs to large, pogrom-esque piles, leaving the sorry stumps that were their opposition...

Left, Right, Left,
Chop, Spray, Chop.

Their intellectually persuaded recruits have been testing a promising beetle that defoliates the evil "trees."

That's all,
K. James

My girlfriend is one of the "intellectually persuaded recruits" working to control and manage millions of acres infested with Salt Cedar. She's out west and works for the Feds. It would make her heart leap with joy if the imported Diorhabda elongata could defoliate entire groves of Tamarix. They've got severe water shortages out their way and the existence of water guzzling Tamarix certainly isn't helping matters.

Guy, I've decided against protecting my claim with the weed wrench. No sense me risking losing control of it and boinging myself on the head accidentally. I'm opting to make myself a Guy doll. Yup, voodoo art. I've got my little needle and thread and I'm going to sew the lips shut of my Guy doll if you won't share.

Denver, CO

I hear that the beetle has gone leaps and bounds. Apparently, the test population is not the only home to it now.

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

At least use one of those good-looking Ken dolls. And if my lips are sewn shut I'll just absorb the Swintosky Chocolate through my pores. I will never share -- NEVER!!!

Guy S.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Water guzzling Tamarix?? What about maples, or any other beautiful plant that tries to live on the edge of a mountain steppe. What is Salt Cedar? Not tamarix. We grow these here as a choice tree for timber. I'm confused.

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Soferdig, you're thinking of tamaracks (Larix), not Tamarix. Salt cedar is tamarisk = Tamarix.

Guy S.

Denver, CO

On that subject, does anone think that my demure Larix kaempferi stands a chance here in alkaline, hot, clay, dry air, Western Colorado?
K. James

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Probably not for very long. But you already have it, right? And trees have surprised you before, right?

Guy S.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.