Neem pest control

Cincinnati, OH

Neem is toxic to insects, arachnids, bacteria. It is not toxic to mammals and birds. It is a required ingredient in curries of southern India. There are products such as K + Neem made with neem oil. The whole product is better. There are numerous minor toxins. It reduces fertility, reduces hatchability and is toxic to larvae and adults. The flowers and nectar is not toxic allowing for pollination. I found this by accident.

http://pctgardens.com/xcart/customer/product.php?productid=35&cat=1&page=1

I've been using Neem for years! Good find!

Cincinnati, OH

I bought a Toona, don't remember where. The other genera related to Neem are tropical also. Not all Toona species are tropical. I can't find anything on the chemistry of Toona.

Lemon Scented Myrtle (Backhousia citriodora) antimicrobial

Lemon Scented Tea Tree (Leptospermum petersonii) insect repellent and antimicrobial

Australian Tea Tree (Melaleuca alternifolia) Antifungal

Australian Red Cedar (Toona ciliata) ?

I don't know that the above are related to the Neem Tree (Azadirachta indica) other than possibly by family which is Meliaceae. Neem oil is a broad spectrum botanical insecticide, miticide, and fungicide treatment wherein which the extracts of the plants listed above wouldn't be used to control or manage any type of infestation in a plant to the best of my knowledge. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

New York, NY

I have an indoor Meyer's lemon tree which has scale. Can I spray Neem oil on this tree or is it too toxic to be sprayed indoors? Is it bad for my cat?

Cincinnati, OH

Neem is not toxic to mammals and birds. You and kitty have nothing to worry about. It won't harm the lemon. It is always included in southern India curries.
Bon appetit.
Larry

San Francisco Bay Ar, CA(Zone 9b)

Larry, the neem leaf, like the curry leaf (different tree) is used in curries. The neem oil used as a pesticide/herbicide is produced from the seeds. It is not likely to bother the cat, but I would keep the kitty away from the freshly sprayed plant if the cat is prone to munching plants. Neem is an excellent herb to cool and clean the liver, but too much can be hard on the body.

Lima, OH(Zone 5b)

It seems Neem is sold in several forms:
http://www.mobot.org/gardeninghelp/plantfinder/pestd1.asp?ID=6

Cincinnati, OH

The first item on your link 'Concern Garden Defense Spray' MSDS lists it as 70%. Many products are only 3%.
100% is always available on Ebay.

Do they still make any Abrams Battle Tank in Lima or have they moved manufacturing to Cairo Egypt?

Homosassa, FL(Zone 9a)

will neem oil kill black grasshoppers with red markings, my yard is full of them .so far nothing has kill them but stomping them

Cincinnati, OH

Neem is a collection of minor toxins. It will not give you an instant kill. It however affects all stages. It reduces fertility. It reduces the hatchability of the eggs. It impares the larvae and it is pretty good at stopping metamorphosis. I would combine it with RV anti-freeze (propylene glycol) or soap. Propylene glycol can carry anything thru cell walls. While PG is not toxic, I wouldn't recommend getting it on yourself. Soap works on soft bodied insects. For example soap kills aphids, but not ladybugs which eat aphids.
Romalea guttata:
http://bugguide.net/node/view/3904

Lima, OH(Zone 5b)

UUallace, interesting information-THANKS.....and yes the tank is still made here in Lima.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.