Dawes Witchhazels in Bloom (Pix)

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

I was at Dawes for all of an hour last week, but did manage some photos of witchhazels in bloom. Here are a few of the best.

This one is Jelena:

Scott

Thumbnail by Decumbent
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Jelena flower detail:

Thumbnail by Decumbent
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Diane:

Thumbnail by Decumbent
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Pallida:

Thumbnail by Decumbent
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Primavera:

Thumbnail by Decumbent
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Primavera again:

Thumbnail by Decumbent
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

I apologize, I'm still getting the hang of this digital camera thing. Simple things I had down with film, are much harder now, like framing and focusing. But I will go, grumbling, into the digital age sooner or later.

There was one witchhazel that I did not get a good picture of but was truly exceptional was "Advent." Luminous, lime-green, very large flowers. There were also a number of un-named Brotzman plants which I suspect we may see in the trade soon. Very fine witchhazels.

Scott

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

Great pics! I hope you add some to Plantfiles. Thanks!

Fulton, MO

Nice. I bought a plant labelled as 'Jelena' and it's blooms are as yellow as yellow can be. I suspected it was mislabelled.

Presque Isle, WI(Zone 3b)

Clearly this is what makes DG so facinating and worth most of my free time. Thanks Scott, for both the show and the effort. Ken

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

No, Ken, thank you!

(A need for attention is why I spend most of my free time on DG)>

Scott

somewhere, PA

Well I was going to post my "Diane" but you've got much prettier specimens here already.
But I'll post it anyway - first year with the shrub & its so nice to have flowers in Feb!!!

Thumbnail by Tammy
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

decumbent!

thanks for the great Hazel pics from Dawes... we were just talking about them on another forum and up popped your link! So timely and pics so pretty.

Took a drive around Cincinnati (Hyde Park area) today , and I don't think I saw one Witch Hazel. Don't understand that. They would be so fun to have in the yard on days like this! t.

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Brings back memories. On my first visit to Belgium, I stopped at Hemelrijk (the deBelder estate and arboretum). There I was given a grand tree tour (and my first Belgian beer) by Jelena deBelder, the namesake of that cultivar. Her late husband Robert was one of the founders of the International Dendrology Society, and they shared a fascination with and great knowledge of trees. She died a couple of years ago.

Guy S.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.