Have Fossil replicas to trade for Sundew or ping.

Drumheller, Alberta, Canada(Zone 3a)

CLOSED
I have fossil replicas, made of plaster of paris, ready for painting. These are actual casts of fossils.
I am looking for a sundew or ping, in trade.

This one is an ammonite, Hoploscaphities nicolleti actual fossil from Dewey County, South Dakota
It is just over an inch high and 3 inches in diameter.

This message was edited Feb 25, 2006 9:46 AM

Thumbnail by Ccino42

This one is Troodon theropod claw, from Dinosaur Provincial park.
4 inches long by 2 inches wide.

Thumbnail by Ccino42

This one is Saurornitholestes, raptor killer claw
3 1/2 long by 2 1/2 wide.

Thumbnail by Ccino42

This one is a Trilobite, Ogygopsis klotzi from Mount Stephen, BC Cambrian epoch.
4 inches by 2 1/2 inches.

Thumbnail by Ccino42

We can't send you plants from down here in the US but if we declare contents and keep the weight under a specific amount, we should be able to send you seed providing all of the chaff is removed.

It's not that your plaster casts aren't beautiful... because they are.

Well, here's one of the reasons why it can be a problem sharing across International boundaries.

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/575488/

The beetles are exactly what Chelle said they were but what if they hadn't been a species that had already been introduced to your Country... or to mine.

I always worry when people trade internationally without procurring the proper documentation and following the proper procedure.

I'm so sorry this happened to you. Nobody intends to do this to another person, these things just sort of happen when hobbyists trade internationally.. and nationally as has been the case with me. The plants that I received that were infested were purchased from "professional" nurseries from within the US.

I don't know if you saw this thread but-
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/575446/

I went to the USPS website to see what can & can not be sent into Canada and this is the list they had:

Country Conditions for Mailing - Canada
Prohibitions (130)

An issue of a publication in which more than 5 percent of its total advertising space is primarily directed to a Canadian market and which indicates:

(a) specifically where goods or services may be obtained in Canada, or

(b) specific items or conditions relating to the sale or provision of goods or services in Canada.

All alcoholic beverages including wines, etc.

An issue of a publication that contains an advertisement primarily directed to a Canadian market is a prohibited import if that advertisement does not appear in identical form in all editions of the issue distributed in the country of origin.

Articles so marked as to create the false impression that they were made in Canada, Great Britain or any other British country.

Butane gas lighters and refill cartridges.

Commercial tags of metal.

Firearms, including prohibited and restricted weapons, may not be mailed to Canadian addressees from outside Canada.

Oleomargarine and other butter substitutes, including altered or renovated butter.

Perishable infectious biological substances.

Perishable noninfectious biological substances.

Plumage and skins of wild birds.

Prison-made goods being sold or intended for sale by a person or firm.

Radioactive materials.

Reprints of Canadian or British works copyrighted in Canada.

Reproductions of Canadian postage stamps unless printed in publications in black and white only and with a defacing line drawn across each reproduction.

Shipments bearing caution labels indicating the contents are flammable.

Smoke-making devices for motor vehicles and boats.

Used or secondhand hives or bee supplies.

Who would want a used bee hive!!!!
I have had plants sent to me from Calif. before with no problems. Customs document stated floral plants - gift.

Hello Dawna,

Quoting:
I went to the USPS website to see what can & can not be sent into Canada and this is the list they had…
What you posted from that website is misleading. USPS will take our money and ship just about anything. If the shipment is one of the small percentage that gets intercepted for inspection on either our end or on your end, the USPS got their money regardless of whether it ever gets tot he intended recipient or not.

The US Postal Service has virtually nothing to do with the United States Department of Agriculture which dictates what we Americans can and can not send to you as well as what we can and can not receive from you in the form of plant and animal. Here’s the site you would need to be at regarding what US residents are allowed to import and export as pertains to plant material-
http://www.aphis.usda.gov/

An excerpt from this site-
http://www.fas.usda.gov/itp/ofsts/us.html
“The Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) is responsible for enforcing regulations governing the import and export of plants and animals and certain agricultural products. It issues regulations and conducts control programs to protect and improve animal and plant health for the benefit of people and their environment. In cooperation with State governments, APHIS administers Federal laws and regulations pertaining to animal and plant health and quarantine, humane treatment of animals, and the control and eradication of pests and diseases. It defends U.S. borders against entry of foreign pests and diseases, protects endangered species, makes sure veterinary biologics are safe, pure, potent, and effective, and ensures the safety of agricultural biotechnology products.”

For those residing in the US, exporting a plant to another Country can be considerably trickier than importing a plant and it would be best to contact APHIS direct for guidance as opposed to relying upon representations of others “that it is Ok”. Without the proper permits and such, I'll step out on a limb and tell you it is generally never “OK” to trade seeds or plants or cuttings or rhizomes or bulbs or fruits with anyone residing in another Country. The consequences for failing to comply with all laws can be very high. Here’s where US residents can get more information on exporting plant materials to other Countries.
http://www.aphis.usda.gov/ppq/pim/exports/

If a US resident wishes to accept plant materials from an individual in Canada (or from any other Country), the US resident should probably seriously consider completing this form in its entirety and submitting same to apply for a permit-
http://www.aphis.usda.gov/ppq/forms/ppqform587.pdf
This is how one gets the ball rolling. Based on my experience, the sender would be responsible for providing a phytosanitary certificate at the very least however dependent on the species shipped to someone in the US, more may be required of you. They'll get back to you usually within a few weeks and let you know all that would be required of you if the permit is issued.

Much of our US Postal Service as well as your Canadian Postal System is automated so material will "slip" by because machines don't "read". Based on a Canadian site I found on line, administrative penalties may be imposed or prosecution may be pursued if you do not declare restricted or prohibited items and to the best of my knowledge all plant parts are restricted items. Plants “can harbor microscopic diseases and pests that can seriously harm Canada’s agriculture industry and environment.” This site also cautioned people to “remember, the pest and disease situation around the world is constantly changing.”

I have shipped seeds to Canada before. To the best of my knowledge, these were the exceptions provisional upon the seeds I sent being declared and not protected under CITES-
Seeds: Small seeds: 500 g/person, large seed (such as beans): 5 kg
Cut flowers: Except coniferous foliage/green cones. Must not be for propagation.

That's it, that's all Canadians can receive from anyone in the US based on my limited experience. This means no rhizomes, bulbs, cuttings, whole plants, nothing other than what is listed above from any location outside of Canada and again that is only provisional upon same being declared and upon same not being a species protected under CITES.

You become the importer when you accept plants from someone here in the US. It is your responsibility to initiate contact with your government to insure that you are in compliance and to be quite blunt, it is up to you to make sure your shipper has all their ducks in a row too. Just because you received plants once from someone in California doesn’t mean it was within the parameters of the laws governing our Country.

That being said, some of your trades may be plant materials that are controlled by International Treaties requiring special permits. Is this really something any of us want to be playing with given all that we know? “The Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora - CITES - is an international agreement which regulates trade in a number of species of animals and plants, their parts and derivatives, and any articles made from them. The convention is applied in Canada as well as in the US in accordance with the Wild Animal and Plant Trade Regulations made under the Wild Animal and Plant Protection and Regulation of International and Interprovincial Trade Act.”

Here’s a newer carnivorous plant supplier in Canada if you are interested-
http://www.keehnscarnivores.com/
This man is from Canada and he has nice seed-
http://www.rarexoticseeds.com/
If you scroll down at this link, you will see that he sells phytosanitary certificates for only $15 although you are a resident of Canada and would be exempt I believe-
http://www.rarexoticseeds.com/Graines_de_Plantes_Carnivores_Carnivorous_Plant_Seeds.html
If you join the Ontario Carnivorous Plant Society, you would have access to their seed bank-
http://www.geocities.com/ocps_web/Main.html
There are many opportunities for you in Canada to purchase carnivorous plants and seed. There are also many members here who are from Canada with whom you could trade carnivorous plants and seed. If you are interested, I could give you a list of nurseries from around the world that ship to Canada... but you will be charged for a phytosanitary certificate in the very least and they can be expensive.

Although we Americans can not send you Nepenthes (all are either appendix I or II species) or Dionaea (all are appendix I species) seed, most Sarracenia (some are appendix I species) and Pinguicula seed in quantities under 500g should be fine. I'd be happy to send you some seed as a gift because you are a cat person and a carnivorous plant person but most unfortunately I could not accept any plant materials from you in exchange. And you know something, that's ok by me and you wouldn't even need to send me a bubble mailer or money for postage.

Thank you for your help. Was not aware of this information.
Thanks,
Dawna

Oh forhot to mention. I would love some seeds! Thanks again for all your help.
Dawna
Addy in exchange list

Quoting:
Thank you for your help. Was not aware of this information.
You are welcome. I care about this continent that both you and I share. We don't live in a bubble and what you do affects me and what I do affects you. Hard concept for most people to come to terms with unless something like what happened to you happens to them. Those beetles were large enough to see with the naked eye but it doesn't take a leap of faith once you get seed like that to realize that there are things we can't see with the naked eye that might be even scarier. And, lots of people get hung up at the United States Postal Service site so no biggie.

Psst, I'd like a used beehive ;) I love bees. They're great pollinators.

Please send me your full name and mailing address in a D-Mail. I don't use the address exchange and have my own little silly system of getting seed and plants out to people.

Did you get your seeds yet?

No not yet. Will let you know when they arrive.
Thanks.

I've been meaning to ask you if you had any success germinating your seed? If so, are you in a position to post any photos?

I have 2 that have started but they are only little strips of greenery. Not photo worthy.

You should be proud that you were able to germinate seed. You did a great job. I'ts quality not quantity! Good for you.

Drumheller, AB(Zone 2a)

Hi Dawna,

I have bought from Rick at Keehn's Carnivores and been very happy with his stuff.

Joanne

Drumheller, AB(Zone 2a)

Thanks for all that great info Equilibrium....hope I spelled it right.

Joanne

You are welcome.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.