Help Do you know me?

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

I need some help I gathered these from waste areas and building sites - do you know any of them? They are all shortish to me (maybe 2 feet tall at most... ) Here goes the first one - these blooms are huge!! Also the flower smells... the closest thing we can think it smells like is good hot fresh rye bread...

This message was edited Feb 10, 2006 8:01 PM

Thumbnail by MitchF
Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

number two much smaller bloom same colors more buds on stalk about 2 ft tall bloom stalk.

Thumbnail by MitchF
Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

Last one for now - some 100 new ones out there from last year but these are all blooming so far. Small flower, short stalk, cannot really tell from the pic but there are a lot of brown coppery undertones in this one..

Thumbnail by MitchF
Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

Your 3 Tall Beardeds are historics, but I couldn't hazard a guess as to parentage. The 2 tone purple looks very similiar to my Anne Newhard. The yellow one looks similiar to two I grow. Iris can change drastically over the decades as they crossbreed. The only way to know is to buy and grow opne next to it.

You might look at the historic iris on this website to give you ideas. Ifind the colors very true.

http://www.hips-roots.com/photos/1picnav-pre1900.html

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

Thank you sooo much Wanda - I know it is a long shot but I hope to give these guys names..

Do the yellow ones have rusty speckles on the underside of the falls nearest the center and a lighter area around the beards?

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

Yes they do - they look bad... got frost all over them ...

SNOW would hit them here if they had the nerve to pop up so early!

Odds are your yellow one is: Coronation Moore 1927

Thumbnail by Wandasflowers
Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

stunning - Iris....

With the warm winter we have been having everything is in bloom right now... and then we get the cold to snap it all off... I had a DL scape up until the cold too.. ... ... would have been my first DL to bloom!

We had 50 degree weather for 2 weeks in January. I had to go out & cover up all my 3-4 inch tall evergreen daylilies. Today we have 22 degrees, sleet, THUNDER and Lightening! Iowa weather--never boring!

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

Yikes - you can have thunder and snow together???

YES! 6-9 inches of snow today with flashes of lightening followed by thunder. Interesting weather, huh?

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

Never heard of that... it would freak me out... Then again I have not seen snow in years.

Wish I could say that! Thank goodness for self propelled snowblowers. Whoops! Hubby is working--don't tell him I know how to use it! He does the snow, I do the grass.

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

Lol - I run it all.. if I had to clear off the snow I would not even know how to any more. We get the heat - that is the change off we get the hot summer heat.

We only get to high 90s with 100 % humidity some summers. We need air conditioning AND furnaces and a full wardrobe--often in the same week! Iowa weather is not for lightwiegts.

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Wanda, what was it last week? Tuesday 67 degrees F and Friday -5 degrees F. Of course, we kind of eased into that one over 2 days... ;) Iowa, got to love the weather, if not, wait a day and it will change. ;)

Diann

Ain't that the truth! And drastically----

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

Well the cold go them all... but I can see little buds growing already so I am redy for round two!!!

I envy you, but I don't want to see buds for more months. i always get a snow or hard frost in late April each year. I can count on it no matter how warm March & April are.

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

I pick on Pirl - I will have veggies already to eat when she is just setting out hers... cruel I know...

Well, the joy is that Iowa weather is so rough that we can never get too crowded...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.