First big Snow Storm coming.

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Are you ready?
Over a foot is predicted here in south east MA. Lots of wind too.
Now where did I put that shovel.
Get your cameras ready.
Andy P

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

I'm hearing 16'' for PA. Yikes from 60 to snow!!!

Lambertville, NJ(Zone 6a)

Last report I heard before coming in to work was 6 -12 inches. Wind on Sunday. DH works for road dept., so I guess I'll have the bed to myself tomorrow night. (with the exception of cats and dog)

New Haven, CT(Zone 6a)

What is everyone doing to protect their daffodils, tulips, etc that got tricked into thinking it was spring already? Is there anything to do?!?

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Meg, I would think the snow would be good for them. If they don't get crushed, they will be blanketed from the winds and coldest of temps. Do you have any big buds yet? Mine are just poking their nose up an inch or two.
Andy P

Edgartown, MA(Zone 7a)

I may be putting a snow ball in my mouth by saying that I believe through out the country the regional net work news stations tend to fixate on a topic and for New England it has become weather. I have gotten to the point that I rarely believe the storm hype which in it's self can be dangerous. What do you think? Katy

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Generally, I agree with you Katy buy I have the feeling this one will be very real.
We have a blizzard warning in Southern CT.

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

I agree with Dave - I just hope it's all snow and no ice. I also hope the snow is not too heavy. Figures..I have plans to see Spamalot on Broadway this Sunday....

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

OH WOW!!! Can you train in?

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

yeah - but I still have to get to the train....

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

So its not like walking a few blocks to the train? I forget. Even though your on Lawn Guyland you are about as far from Manhatten as I am. Well, I'm pulling for you! How often do you get to see grown men dressed in tights tapping coconuts together?!

Snow started here about a half hour ago, so its headed your way everyone! Very light right now. Hoping to make a quick trip to lInens & things before it gets bad. Stay warm!

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

If I look to the northeast there is still blue sky but the sun is fading behind thickening clouds in the southwest.
Predictions have gone up to 15"+ for my area.
Should be an interesting day tomorrow.
Andy P

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

LOL - Thanks Dave..

We are supposed to get around 15" too! At least it's snow and not ice! hmmmm I think I said that already.

I think I'll make a rotisserie Chicken - who wants to come for dinner??

Eastham, MA

Hi everyone, checking in from the Cape here. Nothing as of 6 p.m., it's supposed to start around midnight here. NECN is calling for blizzard conditions tom. until 3.00 in the afternoon and 12 to 18 inches.
DH and I bought a smalll woodstove after the December storm so if we lose power we will be warm, actually we use very little oil since we installed it.

I bought a used Subaru Outback this spring because the winters here have been sooo weird and so far not even a dusting. I really want to try it out compared to the sedan I had.

Anitabryk2, We are having BBQ ribs, wanna trade? mmmm rotisserie chicken mmmmm

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Loge40, I'm making beef stew w/dumplings and apple pie.
If I'm going to be stuck in the house, I'm gonna have some comfort food.
Plenty of firewood on hand, just in case,
Andy P

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

I want a fireplace.. ((((POUT)))) Can I come to your houses? I won't be any trouble. You won't even know I'm there if there's a fire going - it completely mesmerizes me..

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Hi all, Here is what my back yard looks like now.
There is a bank of evergreens in the background, about 30 yards out. With an Apple tree just right of center, can you see it?
We are just now getting into the 'meat' of the storm and it's coming down hard.
Andy P

Thumbnail by Sarahskeeper

We have about 12 inches, hard to tell with all the blowing. Should be ending in another hour here.

Eastham, MA

There has been lots of blowing here with very fine snow. It's hard to tell how much snow because of the wind. Part of the front yard is bare with drifts of about 12 inched next to the garage. I'll be taking my dog to the bay beach around 3:30 so hopefully it will have calmed down by then.

Andy, beef stew sounds great. I could cook it on the woodstove too!

Lynne

South Plainfield, NJ(Zone 6a)

Its official: 20+ inches

LB - We are probably about an hour or so south of you. I think we got around 14 inches in the end. As stated earlier, hard to tell because so much has blown. I thought this would be a light fluffy snow. After shoveling the walk, It didn't feel very light to me. LOL.

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

It didn't feel light to me either - I'm still not done - doing it in stages..

Eastham, MA

It's picking up here now. The snow is definitely heavier and blowing sideways. I went to the beach, it was a little sheltered but my dog was having none of it.

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

I think it's finally done here. Luckily one of the guys on the block came down and did the snowblower thing for all the local neigbhors...phew!!!

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

It's still snowing and blowing here. Getting close to that 15 inches predicted.
Down to 14 degrees now. I think I'll wait until morning to shovel, I'm taking the day off.
Maybe my neighbor with the plow will have time to do the big stuff at the end of the driveway.
Sidekick Sarah had fun in the snow today, see my thread in 'Photos'.
Andy P

Here's a picture from our place

Thumbnail by suzieq2761

Here is another of a small snowdrift on my front porch

Thumbnail by suzieq2761
Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood. The snow is sparkling with the bright sun shine.
It is hard to see but this is what was outside the kitchen door this AM. I'm glad I removed the wood screen door, or I wouldn't be able to get out.
We got 15 inches. About half of what the Blizzard of '05 dumped. That morning a kid from across the street had to let me out, LOL.
Stay warm.
Andy P

Thumbnail by Sarahskeeper
Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

I'm told by the weather folks that we got 15" too. Here's a shot from this morning..you can see the lake! Far cry from yesterday. I took that pic when there was a short break in the snow. Just before the major dumping came down!

Thumbnail by Anitabryk2
Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Wow, yea.
How did you put the 2 pics together? Did you use the "InfraView" software?
I down loaded it a few weeks ago but can't figure it out.
Andy P

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

No Andy, I use this http://www.lumapix.com/ I love it and purchased it.

Anita

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

Here's one I did of my wintersowing ..

Thumbnail by Anitabryk2
Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

and one I did for the African Violet forum..

Thumbnail by Anitabryk2
Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Way Cool!!!
I like your link.
I want to do sequential shots this season. (Blackberries from before Spring pruning to Fall color, for example.)
I bought my first digital camera last June and spent the season figuring it out.
I'm learning more all the time on this PC, too. After one whole year. LOL
I'll be ready this season.
Thanks
Andy P

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

I did a sequential thing on my website! . http://lakehousecreations.com/Gesneriads.htm It's real neat seeing the changes.

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

I agree. Now if I can ever get off this site long enough to get focused, I might figure it out.
Andy P

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

LOL - I know what you mean. I take little breaks - then pop on for a few - then break...etc

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Do you think we can get rid of all the snow before the cold blast comes in this weekend?
Sure is going fast.
Andy P

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

I wouldn't be surprised Andy - the weather is supposed to be real warm.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.