Coffee cans as containers?

Asheville, NC(Zone 7a)

I've had to wean myself off coffee (sob sob) and I'm drinking a good tasting hemp coffee-like drink --the THC has been removed!--which comes in an attractive brown shiny metal container. I know I will have to make a bunch of holes in the bottom for drainage, but is there any reason why I couldn't use it as a container? I like the look of hippie elegant (something really spiffy next to something that looks dragged from a dumpster). Indyfilmz

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Long ago, on a visit to Mexico, there were rows and rows of Tomato cans (big ones, about the size of 3 lb. coffee cans) and they were loaded with geraniums. It was so beautiful that 24 years later I can still see it in my mind. They were up on second story balconies, across roadways, everywhere there was space. You go girl!

in Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I have seen a magazine with this same idea. They also used galvanized buckets and tubs too. It is a really nice look. You can plant all kinds of plant in them. It is also a great way to recycle these cans, and keep them out of ours dumps. Please post some pictures if you can. I would love to see them. *S*

Good luck.
Patti

This message was edited Feb 10, 2006 12:22 PM

Corpus Christi, TX(Zone 9a)

I have some and I think they look nice. Kinda shabby chic I painted mine white and drilled holes in the bottom. They are weathered now which makes them look even better I think.

Laura

Thumbnail by 4xthefun
Chewelah, WA(Zone 5a)

This message was edited May 28, 2010 4:46 PM

in Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Here some pictures from the Containers Gardening Magazine. I just love this magazine.
Patti

Thumbnail by rose318
in Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Here is another picture from this magazine It has wonderful ideas, and with great ways to recycle too. Enjoy!

Thumbnail by rose318
Asheville, NC(Zone 7a)

Rose, have those containers gone rusty? Wouldn't that be bad for the plant? Indyfilmz

in Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I don't know how it would affect the plant to be honest. Good question.
Patti

Drumheller, Alberta, Canada(Zone 3a)

Rust is usually good for plants.

Columbia Heights, MN(Zone 4a)

Love the trash cans.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

isn't the rust like iron, which plants love?

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Patti, I remember that article in the magazine about the trash cans for tomatoes. It said it was becoming the in thing to grow things in the cans and that tomatoes especially luv getting their feet warm in them.
:) Donna

in Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Donna,
The magazine is over a year old , and I just can't part with it. I think it would be too hot here in Houston to put tomatoes in trash cans. I think I would end up with soup. LOL
Patti

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

I'm definitely going to try it this year.
:) Donna

Columbia Heights, MN(Zone 4a)

I use a galvenized trash can for my bird seed and every year I toy with the idea of painting it. Finally, I just hid it behind the Hydrangea. But now I'm thinking about it again. I wonder if there are any products that could be used to stencil on metal. Anyone know? I'm not exactly Ms Arts and Crafts, but I've stenciled on word before and I really liked how it came out.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

I know there is metal paint you can buy at Michaels.

Orlando, FL

You can buy metal paint in most any store Walmart. Fran

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.