Culpeper, VA(Zone 7a)

Woo Hoo!!! Thanks!

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7a)

You guys rock! Thankyou!
-gert

Crossville, TN

Nice!! Jo

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Jo, WHAT are you doing over here???? Don't you live in Arizona? (*chuckle*)

Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

She knows where all the fun people hang out ;-)

Edited for typo

This message was edited Feb 10, 2006 6:49 PM

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Terry, I second that - "you guys rock"!!!

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Super fantastic!!! Thanks SO MUCH Dave, Terry & Garityann!!

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Guess I was a day late and dollar short on this one, thanks for the heads up Shirley, least I found it thanks to you!

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

Thanks dave and Terry!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Dave and Terry,

Happy Valentines Day to you both!

And, thank you for the "gift" (this Forum) that you gave us.

This rose is called "Proud Land".
Hugs! Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

Probably a silly question, but what states are included in the Mid-Atlantic forum?

Dove

Some define it is NJ, NY and PA. Others include DC, VA, West VA, DE, MD, and NC.

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

Thank you

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Hi Dovey, See you found your way over to the Mid-Atlantic. I had always thought of my Pa home as being in the North East and when I first came to DG started in the North East Forum. But found that I seemed to fit into the Mid-Atlantic Group better. Maybe because I live in south central Pa less than an hour from the Md / Pa state lines. There are people here from other parts of Pa some much farther north than I. Plus N.J., Del.,Md, DC, and Va. Should give you a good cross section to think about, when you retire.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

There's a chatty group here but it's really welcome for any new questions and chat. I think this region is anybody in the US that can get to the Atlantic within a day's drive, that's too cold for Southern and too mild for Northeast. And anybody that feels like dropping in!

Monrovia, MD

New-ish to gardening. And by that I mean I am trying to transition from random happenings in my yard and home into a more collaborative set of happenings in the yard and home. I am trying to find the joy - without pressure and guilt...make sense to anyone?
Just bought myself a book for Christmas about gardening month by month in the mid-atlantic. Hopefully that and this forum will help.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Oh, That book sounds interesting, what is the name? Gardens really just need to be enjoyed. I find it interesting that I can overlook weeds and other things in my garden and still the the beauty even when all is not perfect.

Hi yvgfjayne~~welcome!

I've been in this house 18 yrs but still have randomness- its ongoing. And my tastes change- I am getting away from wild and crazy and finding some ability to keep more order in the more public front. Maybe I would say that it helps to pick an area to focus on at a time, for me anyway. I seem to focus on diffeent areas in different years. Depending on what lands in my gardening lap- getting stuff from swaps gave me a nice bulk of new material so I could fill a new area without emptying the bank acct. Or gave me something so I had to rethink to fit it in, and it worked out.

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

Hiya Holly,
Yeah I poked in and said hello
still just lurking and snooping around *S*

Mount Bethel, PA(Zone 6a)

Delighted to see our very own area in "lights", and since I don't know how to get anything started, I will keep looking to see what will happen next.

Thanks for giving us our own "digs".

Teri

Monrovia, MD

Thanks for the welcome.

The book is called Month to Month Gardening in the Mid-Atlantic: What to Do Each Month to Have a Beautiful Garden All Year
I ordered it for myself from Amazon when I bought some other gifts. I haven't seen in yet - wrapped for Christmas - how silly is that?
I'll write a post on this forum once I've had a look - I hope it's good. I have a need for specific tasks for each season.
j

Morgantown, WV(Zone 6a)

I just joined today. I think I am Mid-Atlantic. We live in the upper part of WV. I can be in MD or PA within 15 min. We moved here the last weekend in Aug. I am a southern girl........so gardening in this region is VERY different. Rosie [my Rosemary] is the only outside thing I have kept alive that I moved with me. She is also the 'first' plant I didnt kill a couple of years ago when I started gardening. Up till a couple of years ago, I only kept the beds mulched and the shrubs that were existing pruned. NOW I have a clean slate ......so will need tons of advice on how and what to do in my 'blank' yard.

I have dreamed of having daylilies so planted 25 of them in Sept......that is all so far.

Hey- a brand new Dave Gardener! It sounds like you will experience more cold than before. Had snow yet? Hopefully Rosie has a nice southern exposure.

Morgantown, WV(Zone 6a)

Thanks Sally and yes enough snow already to dim my excitement over it all!! And yes Rosie is on the top deck and the back is South facing........so far she seems to like it out there even with the snow. She is a hardy little [kindof big now] thing. She survived two drought southern summers. Thanks for the welcome.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Welcome to DG Henygirl, Sounds like you are in for a big change. Hope you enjoy your new location. You will find many forums here to interest you.

Monrovia, MD

Hey M-A Folks,
What's Your FAVORITE Public Garden in the Mid-Atlantic and Why???? And for that matter, is there a Nursery you just love to visit???

I would have to say for me it's Brookside Gardens because it is close to me and I know many of the staff and volunteers. It's not huge but they offer very nice cleasses and I find it an approachable size.

My greatest Public Garden memory is Brookgreen Gardens in South Carolina - but that's not Mid Atlantic. And the beauty is both the art and the garden. http://www.brookgreen.org/index.cfm If you look at their website now, you can see the beautiful holiday candle lighting....

I LOVE to visit Surreybrooke Nursery in Middletown Maryland - I think that's my favorite nursery.

Just thought I'd try to start a little sharing amongst us.
Happy Holidays All!!!!

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Welcome Henygirl and Yvgfjayne! I hope you'll find this forum as helpful as I have. Wonderful folks inhabit these premises. Jayne, that book sounds very ineresting. Maybe Santa will bring me one, if I'm good!

Jayne, I would have to say Longwood Gardens in Kennett Square, Pa. If you haven't seen it, this group sometimes has a group trip. The Christmas displays are wonderful too.

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

Henygirl, Welcome, I spent some time in Morgantown, was on our way to the Outer Banks, vacationing with my DD and SIL was going to meet up with Rubyw, another DG and MidAtlantic gardener. But car broke down outside of Morgantown spent the whole day there waiting for it to get fixed, there is a big towing comapany and garage there and they were supper taking care of us. I had to miss the lunch with Ruby due to not enough time.
But did met her on the Longwood garden trip, along with other DGardeners.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/850074/
Jayne, take a peek at the Longwood Garden trip link. We had a great time.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Welcome home Lady! I'm going to try your peanut butter iced cookies this weekend!

Saylorsburg, PA(Zone 6a)

While I'm not new to DG I am fairly new to the Mid Atlantic Forum. I just clicked on this thread tonight out of curiosity and was interested in yvgfjayne's mention of Brookgreen Gardens. We have friends in Pawley's Island and when down in SC visited these marvelous gardens. They are truly one of the most beautiful in the US with their fantastic sculptures. But Longwood Gardens in the Mid Atlantic should not be missed so hope you get a chance to visit it.
This Mid Atlantic Group seems like a fun, friendly, and busy one! Don't know why I never spent much time here before! But hope to join you in some of your activities and have been very pleased with the reception on some of the other threads concerning plant swaps, etc! Happy holidays to all! Jessica

Longwood is super. National Arboretum in DC looks a little pale by comparison. But National is free! The garden in Silver Spring, B_______Brookside? ? I've been once but remember it as nice.

For a nursery- near me- Homestead is the King of Anne Arundel County nurseries, but Main's near it had some great stuff last time I went. Mostly I rely on my nearby Richardson's Nursery. Thee's an interesting looking place corner of Rt 450 and Rt 424 in Crofton I've been meaning to stop at- lots of statues, rocks and plants. White Plains Pottery in Calvert County- been a long time but big pottery and statues.

We love to swap and eat LOL

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

We have been to Longwood for all their seasonal displays and it is beautiful. Brookgreen is one of our favs, too. I so love that your Brookgreen tickets are good for 7 days so you can go back over and over again for one very reasonable price. I would add Rawlings Conservatory as another favorite. It's not large but can't be beat if you are looking for a break from the winter doldrums. Just a few hours of peace and beauty.

Saylorsburg, PA(Zone 6a)

Another wonderful PA garden spot is the Scott Arboretum of Swarthmore College outside of Philadelphia. I had never been there before this fall but was bowled over by its layout and fabulous plantings. They have managed to weave this fabulous garden in and amongst the beautiful old campus buildings. I just googled the Rawlings Conservancy. Sounds really nice but I don't get down the Baltimore way that often. It's now on my list, however, when we head for DC.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

IT's small but very nice there are several old threads here in the Mid-Atlantic Forum about it. Here is Part 1 of a tour we did a couple of years ago.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/671852/

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Holly & jessica, In the fall I really became dismayed at how poorly represented Pa. is in GoGardening. I started a project to change that. So far I've added 42 Gardens, Arboretums & Parks. I have at least another 75 to add. It is very time consuming to look up all of the info. Sometimes I have to write to them for it.

Melody in Administration had been helping me with the maps when ever I could get GPS Co-ordinates. I'm still waiting for some of those. Now she is busy and I have to try doing the maps myself. The gardens won't come up in a search unless there is a Map for the entry.

Some of the gardens are in Jersey & Delaware and eventually, I'd like to completely cover all three states. This will be a winter project. I am going to post a thread in January asking folks to rate the gardens they've visited and post any of their photos. Also, to send me names of any they want added. Maybe some kind souls will help me with the maps.

You can't find them all now as many have no maps, but if you click on my name and scroll down to GoGardening then click again, the list will appear and you can then click on any garden. I've included phone #'s and website addresses and links to their calendar of events and any other info I could find.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks for the info Stormyla, I really haven't looked at GoGardening.

Monrovia, MD

Thanks for the link to the Longwood Trip. I find it hard to believe that I have never been there - My sister is taking my visiting brother and SIL this Friday - but my family always goes to the inlaws the day after Christmas - so I'm missing it again! I will get there - if anyone's going in spring I'd love to know.

Thanks also for the info about the mid atlantic gardens project from Stormyla. I have not yet seen the GoGardening page....will look for that soon.

j

Since I was the one who started the thread, it's still on my watched list. To make things easy(ier), I tried to snag the links to the places everyone has mentioned.

Many of them don't have any reviews yet (and of course, photos and additional reviews are always a great help to others, too ...hint, hint. ;o)

Public Gardens/Arboreta:
Brookgreen Gardens is here: http://davesgarden.com/go/view/2502/
Longwood: http://davesgarden.com/go/view/874/
Scott Arboretum: http://davesgarden.com/go/view/874/
Rawlings: http://davesgarden.com/products/go/view/3912/

Garden Centers and Nurseries:
Brookside: http://davesgarden.com/products/go/view/950/
Maryland Plants and Produce (near Crofton at rts. 450 & 424): http://davesgarden.com/products/go/view/14427/
Richardson's: http://davesgarden.com/go/view/5786/
Surrebrooke: http://davesgarden.com/products/go/view/940/
Waldorf Pottery in White Plains: http://davesgarden.com/products/go/view/1227/

Hi, Terry! I just commented on Richardson's, located near me. and MD Plants and produce- didn't know that was in the Go Gardening.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.