Hellebore (Helleborus sternii)

Hanover Twp., PA(Zone 6a)

Hellebore
Helleborus sternii

Foliage and flowers just beginning to form seeds.

Thumbnail by mgarr
Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Beautiful shot of this Hellebore! Although we've grown alot of different Hellebores, this one is going to be a new one for us this year. I love the foliage on sternii and really looking forward to hopefully getting ours to look as gorgeous as yours!

Debra

Cramlington, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Beautiful plant! And that's the first time I've seen a hellebore and a sansevieria together! That looks like a lovely grouping of Moonshine you have there.

Chesterland, OH(Zone 5b)

mgarr,
Great picture, are the leaves really that blue? How fast does that fad over the season?
My question was going to be what is that plant behind the Hellebore? It looks like 'mother-in-laws togue' and I thought that was a tropical. I see kniphofia knew what it is-- sansevieria --I will have to look that up, that is too cool

OK I don't get it, I just looked up sansevieria (mother-in-laws tongue) and they all appear to be tropical! How can you live in Z5b and have sansevieria in your garden while the Hellebore are blooming? I'm I missing something??
Shady

This message was edited Feb 10, 2006 12:20 PM

This picture was taken at the new conservatory room at Longwood Gardens. Yes the plant behind the Helleborus is Sansevieria 'Moonshine'.

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

mgarr, well that explains it! I have to admit when I first looked at the picture I was confused by the Sansevieria as a companion plant, but now you've set me straight! Still, a lovely combination even though it's not going to happen in our "cold" gardens :)

Chesterland, OH(Zone 5b)

Makes me wish I had a conservatory! Just think of all the combinations we could have!

Yes, but I wouldn't trade the four seasons for anything. My witch hazel is blooming and it totally amazes me that anything could be blooming in this cold weather. I love nature.

Chesterland, OH(Zone 5b)

mgarr,
would love to see picture. Witch hazel is on my wish list.
Shady

Here it is. I have the native one but it blooms in October. This one is Hamamelis 'Diane'.
It opens and has a wonderful fragrance when the sun shines on the flowers. It's been blooming for about 2 1/2 weeks now.

Thumbnail by mgarr
Chesterland, OH(Zone 5b)

mgarr,
Someday I hope to see witchhazel in bloom is person, It reminds me of confetti. Thanks for sharing.
Shady

Look for the native ones in the woodlands. Hamamelis vernalis is blooming now and Hamamelis virginia blooms in October. The last one is the one with the great smelling stems.

Chesterland, OH(Zone 5b)

mgarr
That is what I have heard stay native for shady areas. I will have to check out some of the local garden centers in the spring.

Hamamelis virginiana cuttings are easy to root. However, you have to cut back growth the first year before winter and give protection with mulch the first winter until the plants become hardy. I'll be happy to send you some cuttings if you wish. I also can send you cuttings from Hamamelis vernalis.

Chesterland, OH(Zone 5b)

mgarr,
That would be wonderful, thank you.
Shady

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Shady and mgarr thought I'd share this photo I took last October. We were taking a drive one weekend to check out the fall foliage and the Hamamelis virginiana was in bloom everywhere. I really liked this shot - growing right out of the side of a rock cliff overlooking the valley with the Blue Ridge Mountains in the background.

mgarr, your 'Diane' is beautiful! 'Diane' and 'Jelena' are both on my wish list :)

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Geez, forgot the picture - LOL

Thumbnail by rcn48

That is a beautiful shot. I love mountains.

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Thanks mgarr, it was really difficult to lean out far enough to get the shot. The flowers were really much nicer than they show in the picture, but it was such a bright sunny day, they seemed to get washed out in the photo.

Chesterland, OH(Zone 5b)

rcn48,
Beautiful plant and striking picture.

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Thank you Shady, it was such a beautiful day. Unfortunately the fall foliage wasn't that spectacular as we hadn't had a hard enough frost yet to change the colors. But the mountains looked so blue and the little ponds in the green valley sparkled like diamonds - now that's something I wish I could have captured with the camera.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.