Asparagus: Hybrid or Open-Pollinated?

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

I'm getting a patch ready for asparagus, and I'm having trouble finding information how a hybrid (all male?) patch like Jersey Knight performs compared to an open-pollinated one like Martha Washington. Pros and cons? More or less space needed? Does the open-pollinated one reseed and need thinning? I'm new at asparagus, so any advice is appreciated. I do know about the heavy feeding and mulching required.

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

Zeppy,

I'm starting a new bed of asparagus this year myself. I bought the hybrid Jersey Giant. I'm told hybrids will produce better (all male plants).

Plant spacing is about the same, about 8 - 12 inches in the row, rows about 4 feet apart. Open pollinated varieties will reseed and these small plants should be weeded out to insure good root growth on the parent plants.

Hope this helps.

Red

Thanks, Red. I'm looking into getting a number of Jersey Knight plants (in pots, not exactly crowns). Wonder how I should space them in my raised bed (as I don't have rows).

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

I think I would space them a foot apart each way.

Southwestern, OH(Zone 6b)

hmmm Me too, this must be the year. LOL
Here are a couple of articles I found. According to the articles, the asparagus will grow for 15 years without being re-planted, so make sure where you put it is where you want it for a long time. :-)

Again, according to the article, you are better off planting something like Jersey Giant instead of Martha Washington, as the all male hybrids don't produce seeds taking energy away from the plant. It also mentioned the seedlings being more like weeds than bonus plants.

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/1000/1603.html

This article is adapted from the above article, but goes a little more in depth.

http://www.hort.purdue.edu/hort/ext/Pubs/ho/HO_096.html

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Welp...I'm one of those who chose Mary Washington over the male hybrids. There's just something wonderful about carrying on a strain that dates back to the early-mid 1900's (and that strain was the result of two previous strains that date back to the 1800's).

Mary Washington is said to produce earlier than many varieties but I suppose that is determined by where we live, keeping in mind ground temperatures and air temps, eh?

I planted out over 100 crowns about 14 yrs ago. Out of all those crowns it looks like I have 6-12 females. Not a bad ratio, I'd say. I lucked out, eh? However...did I? I really enjoy seeing the red berries on the females; I also have harvested them and put them in flats (rather than let them fall) some years so I can have my own new stock. I really haven't witnessed the dropped ones becoming a nuisance, but if I see any growing in the bed I would consider it a gift, dig them up and create a new row with them.

Ahh yes...asparagus...lightly simmered in a little butter/water (or white wine), then topped with some grated Parmesan cheese...yummm...ain't nuttin' better for ya! :>)

Thanks for the links, Melissa.

Shoe, isn't Mary Washington a hybrid? I guess there are all-male hybrids and others like M.W. So the new ones you've started from the original crowns have been fine?

I decided to focus on growing those things we really like and that are expensive in stores. So I'm planting a huge bed of leeks, and another of asparagus, and lots of berries. Crossed fingers...

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

Hey Shoe!

Got a question for ya. Is it too soon to plant asparagus? Already got got my crowns (50), stored away in my cubboard. If I put them in now (as soon as this *!%#*#!! snow is gone), and they come up before the last frost, will it kill/hurt them? And I agree, they're ain't nothing better!

Melissa, thanks for the links!

Southwestern, OH(Zone 6b)

I thought about the Mary Washington for the same reason Shoe... I was actually thinking of doing two beds, one male, one female. :-) keep the genders separated ;-) I know that I would tend to be like you, and look at the seedlings as bonus plants... I just have a real hard time tossing or pulling something that can be beneficial. :-) Ya'll are welcome for the links, it's funny, I actually had them open on my computer when I ran across this thread. :-)

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Zeppy...Mary Washington is the result of crossing a strain called "Mary" (which itself comes from a long line of crossing) with "Washington". The variety has been stabilized since 1945 (or '49?) and is seldom referred to as a hybrid due to that stabilization (now considered OP).

(As for your mention of leeks, I'm like you, I GOTTA have em! Hope you have great success w/those!)

Big Red, I'd say if you can get your crowns planted in an area that will get them started root growing but yet is well-draining you should be fine. The you probably won't see any topgrowth until the ground temperature reaches 50 degrees. If you do get a late frost I'd harvest whatever spears have declared; the crowns will send up more as the temperature evens out. As for planting times, I'd be more concerned w/planting too late than too early (late planting would cause them to not have a good root system to handle heat/drought, etc. In our zone my "guide sheet" shows asparagus planting times are from Nov to April.

Good to know.

Shoe, last year I didn't know you're not supposed to direct-seed leeks, so that's exactly what I did, in a heavily-composted raised bed. Thinned them out, and in August/September/October had wonderful leeks with really fantastic flavor. Nothing like potato-leek soup. Or asparagus-leek soup. Or Italian chickpea-leek soup.......

This year I plan to blanch and freeze enough to keep us in leeks all winter.

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

Thanks Shoe, guess I'll put them in as soon as the gound has dried off enough to roto-till.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

You're welcome , Big Red...there is no doubt in my mind you'll be enjoying some yummy eating next year. (By the way, it really doesn't hurt to walk down your asparagus row and, from time to time, just yank a spear off and eat it right there in the garden. It'll do ya justice!)

Zeppy...congrats on the leeks. I can't direct sow cus we mainly have red clay and it'll cake up and inhibit germination, but it sure sounds like you have the perfect place for it! Ya gotta love it! I like to have leeks to winter-over in the garden; there are several good varieties that handle cold weather well and if I plant them out in Sept they do fine here, and we can harvest them thru most winters. (I suppose if I were to build a tunnel-house over them they would even survive the coldest winters.

As for leek/tater soup...that is fine..however, lemme tell ya sumpin!

Slice the leeks lengthwise and place in a baking pan (sliced side up). Dot with butter, sprinkle with a pinch of salt and black pepper. Add a tad bit of water to the baking pan and cover with foil. Bake at 350 Ί for about 20 minutes. (Meanwhile cook the rest of your supper.)

After 20 minutes, pull the foil off and sprinkle fresh-grated parmesan cheese (not the stuff in the green shaky can, please) over the leeks and put under the broiler. You'll want to broil them until the cheese goes beyond melting and is the color of between light brown and "not quite black". With a slotted spatula, serve several halves per person directly on their plates (goes great sitting next to some grilled salmon or oven something as simple as spicy meatloaf!).

Trust me, you'll wanna eat leeks that way every time you see 'em.

Warning: Do not avert your eyes from your plate; people will steal those braised and broiled leeks right out from under ya!

{Sorry to have gone off-topic...I love leeks and couldn't help myself!}

And now, back to our regularly schedule program.... τΏτ

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.