Growing heuchera from seeds

Albrightsville, PA(Zone 4a)

I saved some seeds from some varieties this fall. Has anyone grown any heuchera from seeds?
Any tips for starting them?

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

I found this interesting, but not real informative. http://www.gardenbuddies.com/forum/messages/4314/13128.html

Keep in mind that they most likely won't grow true from seed. You might get some interesting plants though. :)

Thanks, Joan. Right off the bat, I was going to try to winter sow them, but maybe I'll try some inside too. No, I didn't think they would come true from seeds either, but seeing some crosses would be fun too. I think most of the newer varieties we buy are all done with tissue culture.
I saw a home version kit for tissue culture. Might have to put that on my wish list.

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

If you do the tissue culture thing, I'd be interested in knowing how it turns out. Sounds like a gigantic science experiment to me. LOL Actually, it WOULD be a great one for a high school or college student.

You never know what you will get growing them from seeds. You might get some really neat ones. If you do, please post pictures here. :)

www.charleysgreenhouse.com has them in their catalog
They range from $79 to $289

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

Oh my...... A link..... LOL Wonder what the balance is on my credit card?

Okay, I'm just gonna go look. I'm curious about how that all works. But I don't have the time to do this now, right? :)

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

Help? I can't find the kits?

I have the catalog here and it has three sizes but I only see the most expensive one on the site

http://www.charleysgreenhouse.com/index.cfm?page=_productdetails&productid=8155&cid1=175&cid2=423&cid3=-99

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

Thank you! I got there through your link and I want to explore this further. I have the catalog somewhere, but it's not in this house. Probably in my office, and I'll look tomorrow.

This is an intriguing. No?

Oh yes. I'm very interesting in trying one. You, of course, couldn't clone any patented plants other than for your own garden. But just think if you got a really cool looking seedling from your own seeds. Or daylily seedlings. Lots of possibilities.

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

My H. 'Silver Shadows' self-seeded last year and, so far, the foliage looks very much like the parent. I transplanted the seedlings directly to other spots in the garden so am hoping they are surviving the winter.
I was very surprised to find the seedlings in August as the plants went into the ground from 4" pots only in April.

Thanks. It's good to know the seeds are so easy to start. Won't be long now and I'll be starting some inside.
Pam

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

oooo, that tissue culture kit sounds Really cool. I have to go check it out. Thanks for the link,,,,I think,,,LOL

Kelly

Just went there and Had to request their catalog,,,what an awesome site Thanks

This message was edited Mar 28, 2006 7:32 PM

I've got WS heucheras sprouted from seed. Started 3 types plus a tiarella. Woodthrush, so far so easy, lol. I'm sure they may not be identical from seed, but personally I'm not so worried about that. I perfer to have stuff nobody else has, and I find growing from seed a fun way to do that.
No, some seed grown plants which have cross polinated turn out UGLY! Like daylilies!
But I've never seen an ugly heuchera, have you :)

GGG

So. Puget Sound, WA(Zone 8b)

ggg, are they saved seeds or did you order them? I'd like to try but haven't found any but Palace Purple.

No, GGG, never met a heuchera I didn't like! I saved some seeds from a few varieties to try. Hopefully they will have some of the silver veining.
Pam

Ironton, MN

My Huchera seeds saved from last fall are up. They have about 6 tiny leaves and are different colors. Some look red, some yellow, some rust, etc. Should be fun. They are very slow growers altho they did come up fast. The parents are some of the new ones that first came out last year. They were planted in Jiffy Mix, about 6 weeks ago. Very easy----

Port Orchard, WA(Zone 8a)

woodthrush, try this site kitchenculturekit.com it is a relatively inxpensive way to get started doing Tissue Culture. there is a forum and Carol has workshops going all over the country. the caveat is even though it is cheaper and easier than doing it commercially it still take a lot of study. and every plant you do has a different protocol, I'm doing Hosta or to better phrase I'm getting close to doing hosta, I have all my supplies and work area ready but it's spring and I have to get everything going in my garden. so I probably won't start till later this summer. good luck if any of you decide to give it a try. hostajim1

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

hostajim,

Sounds interesting and cool. Please let us know how it goes for you.

Kelly

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.