has anyone started their seeds for spring yet?

novi, MI(Zone 6a)

I was just wondering because it seems every year I either start them too late or too early and they get really leggy.
Nessie

Eagle, MI(Zone 5a)

Last year was the first year I had any success with flower seeds, starting mostly annuals and some biennials. What I learned from the experience was:

-- Follow the recommendations on the seed packet (if you have one). The 6-8 week lead time worked pretty well for me.

-- Sowing depth matters!

-- Light is very important. If the seeds do not get enough light, they get pretty leggy. I bought a cheap shop light at Lowe's for about $10 and hung it in my basement over a table. Set it on a timer for 14 hours a day. Germination occurred either as indicated on the packet or sooner. There's all kinds of information on the web about distance of light from the plants, length of exposure, etc. and probably some good stuff here, as well.

With the exception of some lisianthus (which takes a long time to bloom), I plan to begin starting seeds in April for planting the end of May. This year I'm also trying some vegetables from seed, like Hubbard squash, that take a long time to harvest.

Good luck and have fun!

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

I have daylily seedlings growing now-most are about 4-5" now

i will be starting most of my stuff mid-march to early april!
I have a small GH i use then with night time heat. this is when i do alot of dividing and potting for spring sales and plant trades.

I cant wait to get the tomatoes started and the peppers and the watermelons and so on and on.....
I may start the tomatoes in the house and then move them out to the GH in the middle of March.

I have been looking at those heated seed mats-i may have to get the big one 48x20
anyone use these?

oh i need to get busy! had this window just sitting here half written and i have been cleaning with Kegan!!! lol

the packeages are the key?

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

This will be the first time in many many years that I haven't started any seeds.
We're going to Flordia for 4 weeks in March, its too much to ask of anyone to babysit my seeds.

I'll have to buy transplants this year, it will be worth it to get away from this cold weather for awhile

Paul

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

Dori
I like the mats, used one for a couple of years, be sure to get a thermostat to go with the mats.

Paul

south of Grand Rapid, MI(Zone 5a)

Paul - I got a double mat and thermostat for Christmas. Love the mat, but haven't even used the thermostat yet. I almost wish I had gotten another mat instead!

Hastings, MI(Zone 5b)

Starting seeds:
we collected asparagus seeds last fall, and then froze them for a few months, then
washed em and let em soak for a week or so. then we popped them into little
seed starter flats with just black dirt, by the west patio window. they are coming
up!!!! Looks like we will have more asparagus in 3 years!! LOL.

I will collect seeds from the females again this year and use them for seed swop.

I also have some fantastic bachelors buttons from heirloom seeds. I think I may
have some giant red zinnias from bakers also that I collected. i will have to dig
through the refrigerator. No wonder theres no room for food!

I agree with the shop lights. Heat mats are good for preventing little chilled
seedlings brrrr babies. : )

Does anyone here have chickens? what kind? we are planning some flocks
for this spring and I am looking into heritage breeds that are on the
endangered lists. did anyone here know about a Jersey Giant? those
babys weigh in at 20lbs. I hate to see what an egg from one of those looks like! LOL.

I would like to start some roses from seed.
Anyone have any ideas?
I think its early to start some of the stuff I like, but considering the
snow will fall in October here, that sure leaves a short growing season!
I guess for you guys, the drums are beating already. BOOM BOOM BOOM!!!
PLANT PLANT GROW GROW WEED WEED PLOTZ PLOTZ

today I went through my Musser forest book and was deciding on how many
I could realistically afford to buy. Then, I compared the prices and years in the
transplant beds with what Ionia conservation District Tree Sale is offering this
year. I got Norway Spruces last year that were absolute killers they were so
fat and big and grew like beanstalks!

Talking about seeds, I found another article on Pasture renovation and growing
in this months Hobby Farms. Great article. Not just your usual Timothy and
alfalfa article!

Wow its cold tonight! i gave the horses WARM beet pulp and sugar and
rolled oats and molasses, and dried strawberries with mixed grains and
pellets. Joy and Ollie did not take their heads outta the bowls one time.
I give them warm stuff to eat whenever its cold like this. I am such a mommy.

Regards,
sheri

Thumbnail by WigglyPaw
novi, MI(Zone 6a)

Awesome!!! I just looked at the threads for Winter Sowing....... I am definitely doing this!!!!! I cant wait to get started!!!! I think i can start now!!! need to research a little more,...... :-)
Ness

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.