Can Japanese Iris be grown in zone 4?

Porterfield, WI(Zone 4b)

I did some searches before I ordered, and I'm seeing zone 6, are there any Japanese Iris (Iris ensata) that grow in zone 4? I think they are beautiful. Thanks,Legit

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

Yes, many JI's are reported to grow in zone 4. In fact, I believe most of them are hardy to zone 4, but there are probably some that are hardier than others. Below is a link to one of my favorite Japanese Iris sites. They also carry a lot of siberian irises, which would also do well in your zone. You should contact them and they can recommend some for you. If you learn which ones do well, maybe you could post the names here? It would be great for others to have as well. Have fun!

http://www.ensata.com/

Also, here's a link to an article that gives some detail on their care and hardiness.

http://www.yardener.com/PlantingJapaneseIris.html

Porterfield, WI(Zone 4b)

Thank you so much, I will follow up on that after work! Legit

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

Interesting information there. I may get a few Japanese Iris this year and see how they do. I've not seen them listed as zone 4 hardy anywhere else, so never tried them.

I think the problem Legit and I may have is keeping them moist enough. Plus, I don't know about Legit, but some winters it gets colder than -20 here. This winter however, I think I could almost be growing zone 6 plants and they would survive. It's been unseasonably warm.

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

I grow about half a dozen JIs in pots here in zone 3b, northern MN, and they've been doing fine. They particularly enjoy spending the summer in a kiddie wading pool with a few inches of water in the bottom. Before freeze-up in the fall, I take them out of the pool and bury the pots up to the rims next to my house foundation, then cover them with a couple of inches of fresh mulch.

Laurie

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

I've always seen them listed as hardy in zones 5-9 or 4-9. Since zone 4 would be the extreme, I would definitely get recommendations from commercial growers or individuals who have had success with them in your area.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

Which ones do you grow, Laurie?

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

I am growing:

Blushing Crimson
Cascade Crest
Electric Glow
Fashion Classic
Frosted Plum
Frosted Pyramid
Ike-No-Sazanami
Midnight Stars

Porterfield, WI(Zone 4b)

Here is the answer I got from John at Ensata, I guess the best thing to do is some research! Legit

"Almost all Japanese iris are hardy to Zone 4. Their weakness is drought in summer, or summer temperatures above 100. or lime in the soil.

The most vigorous are the ones that have been around the longest, and not expensive because they usually multiply faster than we can sell them !!!"

John at Ensata.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.