Going Bananas!

Corpus Christi, TX(Zone 9a)

I have no idea where to post this so I am trying here. My backyard neighbors planted some banana trees a few years ago. We got some volunteers come up under the fence. At first we felt lucky about our "free" banana trees. Now we are going ape trying to get rid of them! We have about 10 ranging from 12" to 12'! We cut them down, dig them up and still there are more. What can we do to make these bananas split?

Laura

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I don't know anything about bananas, but if you don't find a good answer over here you could try posting in the Tropicals forum instead. Lots of people over there grow bananas, so hopefully someone would know how to get rid of them.

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Hi Laura,

I had the same problem with canna trying to escape the confines of their bed. I solved this by going to the dump and finding that corrigated fiberglass & metal and surrounded the bed with it to a depth of 1 foot. It seems to have contained them. It might work for you but you'll need to find out how deep banana will go to escape.

If you want to throw some pups my way, I'll be happy to take them off your hands! I have some Canna & Brugmansia to trade with.

X

This message was edited Feb 10, 2006 5:19 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.