Sheep urine?

High Desert, NV(Zone 5a)

There is a sheep ranch next to me. They have huge piles of very aged sheep manure. Because this manure was scraped out of the pens the sheep sleep in at night i am sure there is a high urine content. I wonder about the effect on ph. I do have very alkaline desert soil, so perhaps it would even things out nicely? Perhaps because i could get really aged manure (2 or more years) the urine wouldn't be such an issue?

I am hoping someone here can help me out.

Thanks,
Melissa

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

piles of aged sheep manure, should be perfect, the raw urine should be broken down long ago.

High Desert, NV(Zone 5a)

Thank you!

Culpeper, VA(Zone 7a)

As someone who exclusively uses horse manure in the garden, I agree about the urine issue. It breaks down & the ammonia evaporates rather quickly in the grand scheme of things.

Hey Tombak
check out the soil and compost forum, Jamesco is great at answering questinons on The secret is in the dung, thread, i personally use llama, but we have easy acces to it not many people do LOL
best wishes
sue

High Desert, NV(Zone 5a)

Didn't even know there was a soil and compost forum... Learn somethin' new every day.

Note to self... already learned something new today avoid all contact with information for rest of day.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.